Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2021, 12:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Before this gets sifted in to no-man's land here on the forum, I'd love to know who it was, if it was a member or not.

Anyone got an update?
Any updates on this tragic accident? I hope everyone involved recovers quickly.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #12

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs
I passed a ripped up van on a flatbed just outside of Pismo last week, the top was torn off, white long body Ford. Same?
Old 05-09-2021, 03:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggs View Post
I passed a ripped up van on a flatbed just outside of Pismo last week, the top was torn off, white long body Ford. Same?
No, this one wasn't white.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:11 AM   #14

Hate to see the smashed-up SMB, and hope both passengers are recovering well. At least it is reassuring to see that the E-350 did not collapse in the rear from the cut roof supports.
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
Hate to see the smashed-up SMB, and hope both passengers are recovering well. At least it is reassuring to see that the E-350 did not collapse in the rear from the cut roof supports.

The SMB roof has two thick steel beams (well more plates) running down the sides, the problem is not the van collapsing but the roof being torn off which happens in almost every rollover I've seen allowing passengers without seatbelts to be ejected. SMB was offering a secondary top securing mechanism (literally two seatbelts for the top) after one such rollover, no idea if the retrofit is still being offered.

Sobering to see a similarly outfitted EB in that state.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage View Post
The SMB roof has two thick steel beams (well more plates) running down the sides, the problem is not the van collapsing but the roof being torn off which happens in almost every rollover I've seen allowing passengers without seatbelts to be ejected. SMB was offering a secondary top securing mechanism (literally two seatbelts for the top) after one such rollover, no idea if the retrofit is still being offered.

Sobering to see a similarly outfitted EB in that state.
Are these at the rear of the two side doors with a similar position on the driver's side?

Can you estimate dimensions? ( e.g. 3/8" x 4" steel plate from floor to roof) . This is more out of curiosity as I have not cut any supports out of my roof.

Actually, it is probably more like a 1.5"x 4" x 1/8" square tubing that has been sectioned to follow the curve of the body (my guess).??

If it were thinner than that it would simply bow out and not provide any structural rigidity.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:52 PM   #17

It's like 5/8" x 6" (really wild guess someone can take pics I'm sure) that runs from the top of the B pillar flat down each side to above the rear doors. They're covered in carpet but very solid. Actually the bed sits between them. Highlighted green in attached.
Attached Thumbnails
metal.jpg  
Old 05-10-2021, 03:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage View Post
It's like 5/8" x 6" (really wild guess someone can take pics I'm sure) that runs from the top of the B pillar flat down each side to above the rear doors. They're covered in carpet but very solid. Actually the bed sits between them. Highlighted green in attached.
Thanks for the illustration. I was planning a DIY pop-top at one point but figured I would never finish the build. I vaguely recall this as I was studying the SMB's for how it was done.