Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #21

Re: What do you cook - with recipes if poss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel
Jage,

To pop corn: (before microwaves and jiffy pop)

Cover bottom of kettle with popcorn and oil. Place over gas flame. Shake till the popcorn stops popping.

Angel
Oh yeah, we used to do that growing up, before we bought an air popper. Now everything is microwave at home, and the one time I took JiffyPop camping I tried to do it on a fire and it was a disaster!

Old 12-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
Mrs. Wilson preps alot of food and puts in plastic boxes
They are either pre cooked or ready to cook

As my wife is Thai, we eat virtually 100% Thai food
which really lends itself to this.
Un cooked but sliced and diced and pre cooked work this way.

As for recipes, i have no clue
what i DO know is my Wifes Panang vs. what we had at an expensive resturant last nite...
Mrs. Wilsons clearly wins
I am a Lucky man
Damn right you're a lucky man and don't you forget it. Do you think she'd let you post a recipe or two?
2009 Sprinter RB custom floorplan began conversion at SMB West in August 2010, delivered December 20, 2010. Diesel furnace/water heater (Espar D5), gaucho, porta potti, exterior shower, sink, fridge, micro, vent fan, cargo storage in rear.
durangatangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #23

We eat this on every camping trip, sometimes more than once.

1 sweet onion, like a Walla Walla or similar.

1 carrot.

As many New Potatoes as you like .

As much Mennonite Farmer Sausage as you like.

Cut it all up into bite size pieces and cook it up, covered, in one big skillet, salt and pepper.

Pairs well with Budweiser or Guinness.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #24

What do you cook - with recipes if poss.

Guess I'll throw my 2c in.

Boring oatmeal for breakfast, as I just boil water and add it to a bowl of quick oats (no pre packaged sugar stuff), then add walnuts and dried cranberries.

Lunch is almost always BP&J bagels or bagels with cheese and pepperoni

Dinner is almost alway cousous and a prepackages Indian food. The Indian food i like is in pouches that can be boiled( if cooking inside the van for smell), and keep forever and actually really good.
Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #25

For short trips we usually go to trader Joes' or the local food co-op for the pre-cooked meals in a bag, they are tasty (especially Thai and Indian ones) and just too convenient. When away longer we also take more basics like cornmeal, flour, dried milk, cans of beans, dried beans, rice, oats, dried fruit etc. That way we can have a variety of things without having to carry too much. Making tortillas is easy, pancakes are always a treat. A small pressure cooker makes light work of some of the dried things. Then we carry a few veggies and fruit that are fairly hardy: onions, carrots, garlic, potatoes, oranges and apples. Those and a few cans go a long way.

Basically, if on the road for a while we don't cook much differently than we do at home, just a bit simpler. And on the road, somehow food prep and meals become less of a chore and more of a pleasure.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #26

OK just saw the Wilson SMB "Before and After" thread, and I think Mr and Mrs Wilson are equally lucky and I wish you many happy years together. But we still want RECIPES!
We are of the backpacker lineage. Our SMB will be the first RV we have ever owned - a concession both to our advancing age (is there any other kind?) and to our goal of spending a whole summer in Alaska. While we hope to spend lots of time on the trails, it will be nice to return to fresh food and cold beer, and that will be a whole new experience for us.
Thai food - we love it - but have never considered it as camping food. So RECIPES please!
2009 Sprinter RB custom floorplan began conversion at SMB West in August 2010, delivered December 20, 2010. Diesel furnace/water heater (Espar D5), gaucho, porta potti, exterior shower, sink, fridge, micro, vent fan, cargo storage in rear.
durangatangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #27

This is kind of an odd one, but I think it will work well in a camping setting due to simplicity of preparation in camp. It does have some not insignificant home prep requirements, though.

I made tamales from scratch for the first time earlier this week and they were amazing. I undercooked them slightly and then, when I'm ready to eat them, I just steam them for a 10 minutes to finish them and they come out just like I made them fresh that evening. It is very densely packable food and really not all that hard to make, if a bit time consuming. I could see making a dozen or two and stacking them up in the fridge or even a cooler. You can cook as many as will fit in a pan in 10 minutes with nothing more than boiling water. I did a chicken and green chile filling that is amazing, but even simpler would be a slice of cheese with some green chile or even just some salsa.

My recipe (cobbled together from a variety of websites):

filling:
  • A bunch of tomatillos (I used 12, but wound up making twice as much as needed for 24 tamales)[/*:m:niaiq0wr]
  • a bunch of roasted, peeled green chile ( I order frozen from Hatch, NM, because I'm addicted - an arbitrary amount that was a mix of hot and extra hot. You can roast anaheims or similar under the broiler pretty easily. Make sure you peel the skin off after roasting)[/*:m:niaiq0wr]
  • 3-5 cloves garlic (I did 5)[/*:m:niaiq0wr]
  • 1 rotisserie chicken from a supermarket (I used 2, but had 2x as much as needed after making 24 tamales)[/*:m:niaiq0wr]
  • 2 cups chicken stock[/*:m:niaiq0wr]
  • roast tomatillos under broiler for 5 minutes, then flip and do other side.[/*:m:niaiq0wr]
  • Blend together with green chile and garlic. I think my mix was about half and half, maybe 2/3 tomatillos[/*:m:niaiq0wr]
  • simmer and reduce until thick.[/*:m:niaiq0wr]
  • add chicken stock and reduce until fairly thick again[/*:m:niaiq0wr]
  • shred chicken with a fork and stir into green goo. [/*:m:niaiq0wr]
  • Season to taste. I found that the chicken stock provided plenty of salt for my taste. It was spicy as hell in the pan but quite mild in the tamales, so overshoot with the spices.[/*:m:niaiq0wr]
  • set aside (or chill)[/*:m:niaiq0wr]

Make tamale dough according to directions on masa packaging. Very simple. Lard/shortening, masa, chicken stock, water.

Soak dried corn husks in water while all of the previous cooking was going on.
  • spread 4" square of dough onto smooth side of corn husk with smaller end toward you[/*:m:niaiq0wr]
  • make a line of filling down the middle[/*:m:niaiq0wr]
  • fold two sides in together to close dough over filling, then fold up bottom. Then tie off with a strip of corn husk. If you make 2 different fillings, fold one sides then bottom and the other bottom then sides, so you can identify them by the fold.[/*:m:niaiq0wr]
  • Put completed tamale in a steamer - I stacked vertically so that condensed steam dripped into open end of tamales from lid, making them deliciously moist. Not sure that matters.[/*:m:niaiq0wr]

Steam all tamales for 50-60 minutes. refrigerate or freeze. You are done.

To serve - steam tamales in camp for 10 minutes, perhaps 5 minutes longer if frozen (I'm guessing).

Eat melt in your mouth tamale goodness. Go to bed very sated.

Provides carbs, meat, veg, and spice all with the use of a single pan which doesn't even need to be washed when you are done. I make mine with quite a lot of filling compared to tamales you buy, and 2 is a perfect meal and I'm a fairly big guy. Goes really nicely with a quality pilsener. Probably goes really nicely with any beer you can find.

I'm kind of new to cooking, and I did all of the prep with 2 hours of cooking plus steamer time. I could do it in 90 minutes or less now that I know what I'm doing. That sounds like a lot, I know, but they were really f'ing good - perfect camping food. You could do store-bought tamales the same way, but they wouldn't be as tasty - not even close. I served mine to 12 people and every person in the room agreed that they were the best tamales any of us had ever eaten - and we all live in socal, where tamales are available everywhere at this time of year.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornercarver
...I made tamales from scratch for the first time earlier this week and they were amazing...
mmmm...fresh tamales. Gotta love the holidays in the southwest.

Herb
Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #29

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

If you're a photographer, you must have Edward Weston's Red's Meadow Stew. This recipe makes enough for, oh I don't know, two to twenty people. Bourbon and cigarettes help. In fact they're required.

http://tinyurl.com/2c93yso

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Edward Weston's Red's Meadow Stew
That reminds me of my dad's favorite camping recipe from when he was in his twenties- being scruffy and having a beat up vehicle help:

Place in iron skillet:
- one can corned beef hash
- one can canned spinach
Simmer until people in the next campsite take pity and give you real food.