Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2020, 05:18 AM   #21
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
All through the pandemic we have been camping with various family and friends. At least one weekend a month all year long. It's a nice respite from the news cycles to get out and camp.

Almost all of our camping is in campgrounds and many of those are KOA's. This past weekend we camped by ourselves up by Ojai CA at the Ventura KOA. That KOA normally has a lot to do for kids but many of the activities were closed due to Covid. Fortunately Lady Shadetree and I were content with the campsite we had.

For Labor day we camped out at Lake Havasu on the California side. 118 degree temps meant we lived in the water.
I'm glad you're finding things to do despite so many things being closed or highly restricted. Stress relief through leisure-time activities has never been more important or necessary.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmpetersen View Post
Yes Otter, as a fellow Oregonian...this has been unlike anything I have experienced in my 35 years living in the state. I do, however, have a weird sense of added security knowing that my Sportsmobile is packed and ready to go at a moments notice though. Perhaps a false sense of security, but as we have learned, the ability to 'bug out' isn't just reserved for the doomsday prepper crowd anymore. Living among the flammable trees, near the rising oceans, or on the windswept plains...we are all renters on this earth and subject to mother nature's often cruel eviction notice.
I used to really want to move out west but I've changed a bit on that score. She has too. Just too much volatility out there in most places. Here in the Appalachians all we get is a little too much rain and humidity. No floods, tornadoes, hurricanes or any of that. We do have an overabundance of fundamentalist conservatives but they don't riot, at least not yet.

I'll stick to fair weather road trips of the far west states for now. If I went anywhere I think it would be Alaska. There you can basically just expect one thing, cold.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Just too much volatility out there in most places. Here in the Appalachians all we get is a little too much rain and humidity. No floods, tornadoes, hurricanes or any of that.

I hear banjos.........

I spent the last 11 days camping in Moab, UT and a few places in Idaho..and now back to So Cal......smoke everywhere....and just got finished repairing a strap on my favorite COVID mask...maybe we need a 2020 do-over..
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I hear banjos.........

I spent the last 11 days camping in Moab, UT and a few places in Idaho..and now back to So Cal......smoke everywhere....and just got finished repairing a strap on my favorite COVID mask...maybe we need a 2020 do-over..
LOL! You're right, if you are lucky, occasionally you will hear one. If you were raised and schooled in music as I was you'll realize there is some really amazing banjo music out there and it's nothing like Deliverance.

Just so you can entrench yourself in some local culture, check out the Kruger Brothers, Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn, Sarah Jarosz with her amazing clawhammer, Noam Pikelny.....I could go on.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:01 AM   #25

Yup.....I've heard a fair bit of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones...and with his wife Abilgail....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #26
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
LOL! You're right, if you are lucky, occasionally you will hear one. If you were raised and schooled in music as I was you'll realize there is some really amazing banjo music out there and it's nothing like Deliverance.

Just so you can entrench yourself in some local culture, check out the Kruger Brothers, Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn, Sarah Jarosz with her amazing clawhammer, Noam Pikelny.....I could go on.

And Steve Martin

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:18 PM   #27
Site Team

Eric got himself a new Avatar....
Old 09-30-2020, 12:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Eric got himself a new Avatar....
Actually a really, really old one

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
And Steve Martin
Yep, can't forget about The Jerk (movie reference, Steve is great). He's a very good player regardless of his star status beforehand. Read his book!
Old 09-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #29

Quote:
I used to really want to move out west but I've changed a bit on that score. She has too. Just too much volatility out there in most places. Here in the Appalachians all we get is a little too much rain and humidity. No floods, tornadoes, hurricanes or any of that. We do have an overabundance of fundamentalist conservatives but they don't riot, at least not yet.

I'll stick to fair weather road trips of the far west states for now. If I went anywhere I think it would be Alaska. There you can basically just expect one thing, cold.
I love it out here in west. I have travelled all over the world but I keep coming back to Oregon. I was, however, in your neck of the woods this time last year...Boone, NC and surrounding, and I really fell in love with the people and the area as well. I was hoping to get back there this year but obviously plans were adjusted a bit by other forces. Beautiful area, breathtaking really.
lmpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #30

I could most definitely find a great spot in Oregon, WA or Idaho. Another secret about here is that the cost of living is extremely low compared to everywhere else I like. Also, I’d like to be much further from civilization then she would.