Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2023, 02:51 PM   #11

Nice catch - enjoy your trip - it will allow you to analyze your current setup and visualize how things could get jumble around to what you want. Safe travels !

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 03:35 PM   #12

Well allrighty then. tank appears smaller diameter than original but longer. as long as you still have both LP and H2o I guess is what matters.

Original tank is 8gal of LP and equates to something like 30lbs I believe for reference. dunno if the new tank shows specs but you're prob right, larger.

Enjoy the new rig on your 3 week trip. These PW Excels are the Goldilocks sweet spot for two people imo - Just Right
Colo_Vanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:15 PM   #13

Back from the trip and digesting some thoughts. Using this as somewhat of a blog/diary/whatever just do document our thoughts.

It's the perfect size as a mobile office. As just a camper, I'd go smaller. Maybe it needs a pop top RB sibling in the driveway...one can dream anyway.

Definitely need to raise it up a bit, dragged hitch just in some parking lots. V10 pulled a solid 12 mpg overall. Pretty much always between 11-13 mpg, with one tank above and one tank below that range. Being able to fuel up at Costcos along the way eased the sting a bit, perk of a gas engine. Also felt 0 guilt firing it up to go do a grocery run or other quick trip, vs worrying about short cycling a big diesel. Did get some warm floorboards though, and with no rear a/c, it did get a little toasty in the back half of the camper during some of the driving.

Only used the bathroom a few times for emergency pees. Which, since it takes up 4' of space in the van, means we could use that space a whole lot better with it being anything else. Need to keep a toilet in there, but currently pondering how to turn it into bike storage and not tank the resale value.

We've come to realize that for our use, aka part remote work vehicle part recreation vehicle, like it or not we will be spending time now and again in campgrounds (another reason to keep the toilet). The ability to plug into shore power and water was nice. However, it really showed how limited a 40ah house battery is in terms of boondocking otherwise. That's item #1 to upgrade (along with inverter). This was our first 'remote work' style trip, so we were in and around civilization more than our normal camping trips (previously I almost never stayed in developed campgrounds), but that technically isn't a requirement if we can upgrade the electrical systems.

A lot of good boondocking spots seem to warrant some higher clearance or 4x4 for access. This is more the recreation side of the van vs working side, but if we can find a good spot to post up for a week - it can be both. We drove up to the Gooseberry mesa TH in Virgin UT and in stock form, I was a little surprised the van made it between a couple washouts and steep grades. Suspension didn't let us carry much for momentum, so the torque converter was getting a workout even in 1st gear. Being able to carry more speed via better suspension and/or a transfer case will pay huge dividends off road.

Bike/cargo hauler on the back was mixed. Both bikes took some scuffs to the frame paint before we figured out the perfect packing situation. It also made parking a little trickier, and any vehicle passing us was likely to cause the rear end to wag a bit. It did keep the bikes out of sight and out of the weather though. It will stay in use for the time being, but it isn't my favorite.

Lastly, I can see why people like camping in CA so much. It's pretty easy to pick the climate you want, and then go find it. If you can always stay somewhere temperate, there's almost no need for a heater or a/c. Almost. Still not sure I want to go through the hoops of making it a ski/winter camper.

Couple pics from out on the road, plus a shot of replacing the faucet in a campground in Vallejo. Amazon delivered right to the van, it was both hilarious and dystopian at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20231112_211318652.jpg   PXL_20231108_010019119 (1).jpg   PXL_20231119_154609211.jpg   PXL_20231122_222147901.jpg  

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 04:32 PM   #14

very nice. tfpu.
blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 04:34 PM   #15

Old 12-04-2023, 06:03 PM   #16

That's a beautiful Excel right there. Seems like a major oversight not swapping to a FF rear end with that weight and those tires though.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 06:41 PM   #17

Blair -- any chance for a photo of the front receiver hitch install ? I've got a 2002 V10 E350 Quigley - and also have a frnt receiver of my Suburban - and trying to figure out how to attach to under/frame ? I'd be SUPER grateful for a photo !?

Thanks for your time and reply !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 01:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
Blair -- any chance for a photo of the front receiver hitch install ? I've got a 2002 V10 E350 Quigley - and also have a frnt receiver of my Suburban - and trying to figure out how to attach to under/frame ? I'd be SUPER grateful for a photo !?

This video is not of my vehicle.
I believe the front hitch is proprietary to the UJOR bumper.
Old 12-05-2023, 02:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post

Etrailer.com
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 03:51 PM   #20

That's the best video I've seen on a 4x4 one yet. The previous UJOR ones only do a brief walk around the outside. Nice find and good motivation to keep it and put the MG kit on it.

I agree, kinda weird to drop all that money (12v a/c not even mentioned?) and keep the rear semi float.

Pretty neat they have a PW specific rear bumper skin though.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote