Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2021, 03:20 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Why? SAE bellhousing worked just fine in my Eseries.
What transmission are you running / engine?

DaneCorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 03:23 PM   #72

6.7 Industrial? SAE Bellhousing won't fit! But with your lift maybe.

I see the photo. I'm trying to read through all the posts.

To change the bell housing you have to change the torque converter, flex plate, adapter assembly, and much more.

But I doubt it will ever make this conversion work.

What TPS Sensor and wiring harness do you have installed?

The best solution is to call KC and Dave at CAconversions they make custom adapter plates for this conversion...

https://www.caconversions.com/

or give a shout 6786186974
Old 12-13-2021, 05:02 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneCorry View Post
What transmission are you running / engine?
2013 6.7L out of a salvaged Ram 2500 and 2008 Allison 1000 6speed out of a medium duty truck.

I made my own bell housing adapter. Accelerator pedal is a combination of the stock RAM pedal and the Eseries pedal (the internals of the Ram pedal fit inside the housing of the Eseries pedal since they're made by the same manufacturer). Harness is custom made in-house. Engine and trans are directly connected and communicate via J1939 without any additional CAN "gateway" hardware.

The common misconception of the SAE bellhousing on the trans is that it is "too big" and "won't fit". The bellhousing itself isn't really that big but it is a very strong, thick casting compared to the GM housing. Where most people get messed up is that it's the industrial Cummins rear bellhousing that's ginormous and doesn't fit anything but medium duty trucks.

I liked the SAE (trans) bellhousing because I didn't have to move/change the original starter, the bellhousing ring was simple to design and make, the torque converter adapter ring was easy to design and make and I could use a commonly available torque converter and stock RAM flexplate (or in my case, an upgraded billet flexplate)

I have my drivetrain mounted as low and far back as I could get it and it is super easy to work on. I have plenty of access to everything...a lot easier to work on than any 6.0 or 7.3 van I've had in the shop. No additional body lift needed.

I've got to be honest, I'm not a fan of CAConversions. I talked to them at a show several years back and told them what I was doing and they laughed and said I'd never get anywhere with my setup unless I purchased their hardware. What they didn't know is that I already had the engine ECM and trans TCM communicating on the bench without their $1500 hardware (that's what it was at the time) and I'd figured out a way to get the 4th gen Cummins controller to work in a standalone application without any of the Chrysler add-on modules (BCM, SKIM, TIPM, etc...). My questions were about their bellhousing adapter and torque converter recommendations but instead I got an earful about how crazy I was for thinking I could get my rig running without their help. Rather than listening to what I was saying, two different people in their booth (I believe a father and son) talked down to me like I was an idiot. News flash...I'm not.

If you have more questions about my build, please follow up in that thread.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 01:05 PM   #74

Sounds great... Awesome Setup!!! I have had some unfortunate issues with several Deisel conversion companies over the past three years on my project. CAc has been the only company that solutions.

My main issue when I got to building the transmission is I needed the stand-alone computer to be able to shift manually shift through all 6 gears.

But it seems like you have the knowledge and machine shop to build what you need. I'm just trying to build the baddest van I can... Thanks for all the info pretty interesting how everones rigs come together.