Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2021, 11:35 AM   #1

Head Basher Solution

Overhead Cabinet Head Bumper Modification

After a few years of searching for something to soften head bashing on the lower corners of our overhead cabinets above our Sprinter van cab and rear sofa/bed, we crafted our own solution. Along the way we contacted experts about this problem without success or any recommendations. We also looked at several possible remedies but none of them met both our esthetic and functional requirements. We passed on pool noodles, pipe insulators, and bungies holding pillows etc. We wanted something thin, stylish enough, and did the job. After much thought and consideration, this was our solution. I’m pleased to report it works great! As the taller of us, I can attest to this. I got to unexpectantly test it out a couple times so far.

Photo of support for front attic “head bumper” – 36” x ¾” x ¾” thin aluminum angle fastened with 3 #8 ½” pan Phillips screws installed from the bottom horizontal edge of the aluminum angle rather than the vertical cross-grained edge.

Photo of black high density furniture edge cushioning with provided 3M double stick tape to fasten to the installed aluminum angle purchased on Amazon.

Photo of completed rear “attic” head bumper cushion fastened on the front facing lower edge of the overhead cabinet.

So far we’ve been pleased with how this turned out. It looks great and functions well! It harmonizes with our build colors and materials and does its intended job successfully. It’s been subjected to several days of 100+ degree temps and the supplied 3M double stick tape hasn’t showed any signs of failing. This is a relatively simple and attractive solution to the overhead cabinet head bashing problem we can highly recommend.

Total expenditure $31.50

JJSporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:29 AM   #2

I used something very similar (L-shaped foam sold for preventing toddlers from bashing themselves on furniture) in many head-bonking places in my van.

I ended up pulling up a bit of the fabric and then re-sticking it over the cushion foam. Doesn't look perfect, but keeps it from ever falling off.

I also padded the penthouse top metal hook attachment things that stick out with some sections of fuel line.

It took 8 years of regularly smashing my head before I finally decided to do this work.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:55 PM   #3