Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2021, 07:56 AM   #11

Victron makes a very cool BMS. By changing the fuse sizes you can change the maximum input from the alternator. It also delays taking a charge to the house batteries until the start battery has a minimum charge. Victron Smart Battery Management BMS CL 12-100.

cwvandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:00 AM   #12

Here is a short list. Does not include battery cables and misc. stuff.
Inverter/Charger: Victron MultiPlus 12V/2000W
Cable 10M RJ45 UTP Network cable (BMS to MultiPlus)
Solar Controller Victron MMPPT 100/30 SmartSolar Charge Controll
VE Direct cable (2) Victron VE Direct Cable 1.8M
Battery Monitor Victron BMV-712 Smart Battery w/ Bluetooth
BMS Victron Smart Battery Management BMS CL 12-100
Battery Protection (2) Victron Smart Battery Protect 100Amp
Circuit Breakers (2) Blue Sea 285 Series Thermal Circuit Breaker 30A
(2) Blue Sea 285 Series Thermal Circuit Breaker 100A
Display/Monitoring Victron GX Touch 50 Display
Cerbo GX
Batteries (2)Victron 12.8VV/160Ah Smart Battery
Old 05-28-2021, 08:04 AM   #13

Been out using the van for about a month solid. Van feels lighter (in addition to batteries, I put van on a "diet". Changed out Aluminess rear bumper/tire carrier/box for Owl Vans tire carrier/box. Lost over 600 lbs.) Batteries charge faster, and I have yet to get capacity below 60%. I have been playing with changing out fuse to raise/lower alternator output to the batteries. Mercedes says to limit output to 40 amps. Local experts (including Victron dealer) says that is silly. Their customers all max out the charge at 100 amps without issue. Also, what is awesome is I can monitor all functions remotely via internet or on my cell phone (charge state, temperature, charge source and amount, etc).
Old 05-28-2021, 08:22 AM   #14

I wouldn't worry too much about the water line either. Ask yourself what's the worst thing that can happen if the water line springs a leak....it's likely that the interior gets soaked.

I develop medical devices for a living, and we spend countless man-months doing hazard analyses and failure analyses, many times right down to each component on a circuit board depending on the risk to the patient or user. The risk is the severity of the failure multiplied by the occurance/probability of the failure.

I'd guess a failed BMS, or an unprotected short circuit in a battery cable would be your worst failure.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the water line either. Ask yourself what's the worst thing that can happen if the water line springs a leak....it's likely that the interior gets soaked.

I develop medical devices for a living, and we spend countless man-months doing hazard analyses and failure analyses, many times right down to each component on a circuit board depending on the risk to the patient or user. The risk is the severity of the failure multiplied by the occurance/probability of the failure.

I'd guess a failed BMS, or an unprotected short circuit in a battery cable would be your worst failure.
12VDC wet is not a safety hazard. Wet 120VAC is!

Looking at the attached picture you can see what looks like 120VAC having a possibility of coming in contact with water. I can understand the hesitancy or re-orienting any of the current install for a low probability hazard.

So some type of plastic or PVC over in the area right below the 120VAC distribution panel would help to prevent any possible damage to the water line in that area as well as deflect any spray away from that area in case somehow a leak developed in that area.

The worst thing is that you would probably blow a circuit breaker if water got into the invertor. If the floor of the van saturated it is possible to get an electrical shock if the AC was not grounded but that bus bar seems to be
grounded to chassis (I suspect??) so that may not really be possible.

.concerns.
Attached Thumbnails
120VAC Hazard.jpg  
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote