Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #11

my awning idea

Lol Jamie, that cracked me up. No, you aren't stupid. It's an unusual setup and I haven't got any pics of it bagged up and on the van. It doesn't stay there. I store it in my pop top while traveling. If you look at the close up pic of the awning in the bag (on the table), you'll see a plastic cord sewn along the top. The awning comes with an aluminum rail which has a channel for that cord. Usually, you would mount the rail to your camper, slide the awning in to that rail, and screw it on both ends so it can't slide out. I figured out that there is just enough room under the edge of my top to mount the rail, so I just slide it on to the rail when I want to use it. No need to pin it on the ends, it won't come off.
If you want to study one in person, just about every pop up camper ever made uses this style awning.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #12

Re: my awning idea

instead of the bag....how about a piece of pvc pipe (painted black) or abs pipe?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygvan
instead of the bag....how about a piece of pvc pipe (painted black) or abs pipe?
Hmmm, well if you can sew, or know someone who can, that might work. The plastic cord that hangs the awning (on an aluminum rail) is sewn in to the top of the bag. If you could rework that you could slide it in to PVC, but it would be a big modification. I think that would be even harder to store also, unless you mean putting it on a roof rack or something. The only reason I'm willing to store it IN the van is because it's in a soft bag.
If you had a shorter awning than I do, that would work pretty good. You could leave the pipe mounted on a rack or something.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #14

i was envisioning it permanently mounted (the pipe) and the awning stored inside. to install the awning when parked, pull out the contents and slide the awning "bead" into an aluminum track (which is mounted to the pipe) and extend as needed.

picking a spot for the pipe would probably be the hardest. i think a 4" diameter pipe would be enough to fit a rolled up awning.

the whole thing is a bit more manual but seems like a very cheap alternative.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #15

some sort of ladder storage hooks or sections of pipe along the bulkhead opposite the side door might be less intrusive and have some utility for hanging or storing things (wet socks, towels, wine or pasta ) when the awning is in use versus an intrusive continuous big pipe
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #16

my awning idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenard
some sort of ladder storage hooks or sections of pipe along the bulkhead opposite the side door might be less intrusive and have some utility for hanging or storing things (wet socks, towels, wine or pasta ) when the awning is in use versus an intrusive continuous big pipe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygvan
i was envisioning it permanently mounted (the pipe) and the awning stored inside. to install the awning when parked, pull out the contents and slide the awning "bead" into an aluminum track (which is mounted to the pipe) and extend as needed.

picking a spot for the pipe would probably be the hardest. i think a 4" diameter pipe would be enough to fit a rolled up awning.

the whole thing is a bit more manual but seems like a very cheap alternative.
Both excellent ideas. The pipe on a roof rack would be perfect especially if you have a full length (or close) roof rack. Inside hooks would be great for a minimalist interior (without cabinets etc. already on the walls).
Old 10-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Can we see a packed shot?
Well, I knew this was what you meant Jage, and I finally got around to it.