Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #11

Re: New boat looks good on top

I haven't tried flipping the new boat over yet. My old boat didn't sit well in the saddles up side down. Next paddle day I'll have to try. The 50mph winds today will keep me off the water for a couple days.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #12

My GTRV glass is bomber. I've been walking and getting kayaks and snowboards from up top with no warping or cracking for the last two years. I made a kayak roller out of PVC pipe and insulation and black electrical tape and placed on top of my aluminess box on the rear so I can get 17' kayaks up and down solo, works great.
4x4kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #13

Can you post pics of the rollers. We have the Mako saddles and love their security but a roller right at the back of the van would save me, at 5'9" having to walk from a step stool to the bumper to load the boats.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #14

Garage

Yakima makes a system called the 'Showboat'. Its a roller setup that attaches to your cross bars and is adjustable. You can move it out over the back edge of the roof and side to side. It works great for loading and unloading our boats. I can lift the front of the boat up and rest it on the roller and then climb on top and pull the boat up and onto the saddles. I've never had to do it myself, my wife always grabs the tail end and helps.

The roller system slides above the roof and out of the way or out over the back.

The more your boat weighs, the closer you want the back cross bar located to the back edge of the roof. As you can see in the first picture, the roller cantilevers out from the last cross bar. Our boats weigh 53 lbs each. I'm sure there are other options, but this works well.

Mike and Kris
Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #15

Here are pics of my homemade very cheap kayak rollers for on top of my aluminess box. If you have a rail, simply buy some pvc pipe the width of your rollers, cut them along one side the full length so you can jam them onto the rail. Then wrap electrical tape around them. Wrap foam pipe insulation around them to act as cushioning, and if you can find black fire hose use that as an outer wrap. I couldn't find black fire hose in town so I simply wrapped black electrical tape around the foam.
TO LOAD: What I do is place my 17 foot long sea kayaks bow (nose) on this roller, and let the stern (rear) end rest on the ground. I then climb on top and in one motion I haul my vessel on board!
TO UNLOAD: the reverse above. If you want, use a rubber mat to rest the stern on to minimize scratching if you dont lift it well.
Attached Thumbnails
yak_rollers.JPG   yak_rollers_closeup.JPG  
4x4kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote