Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2020, 09:53 AM   #1

Just about time to head south ...

This has been a long time coming for me, but finally taking my turn down the Panamerican. I started thinking of doing this around 8-9 years ago. Needed to get life in order first (kids on their way in life and retire). With those two items under my belt and the blessing from my wife to disappear for a year, I'm about a week away from heading south in my 2005 Sportsmobile van that I've owned since 2006.

As a way for friends and family to follow along and also to give a little something back for all the blogs I have followed and been inspired by, I'll do my best to keep a blog going at https://pacificadventuresvan.blogspot.com/. I'll try to post up here on the forum now and then as well.

I will be traveling solo for the most part. Unfortunately, this just isn't my wife's idea of a good time but she will visit me a couple places along the way. Some friends have also said they will visit. I'm delighted that a good friend will start out with me for the first 2 weeks in Baja and already have plans to meet my brother near Puerto Vallarta.

My only real timeline is to get to Ushuaia sometime around mid-November and ship the van back from Paraguay or Brazil sometime in January.

The plan is to make many new friends, experience new cultures, and enjoy the great outdoors along the way!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Phil, that sounds like a dream trip. Be sure to keep us up to date and stay safe.

Herb
Old 01-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #3

Garage
May good fortune accompany you the entire trip! Will be fun & interesting to follow your adventure(s), Thanks for supplying the link.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:38 PM   #4

Following your progress is something I'm looking forward to for 2020. I've booked marked your blog. And as they used to say in the space biz, Good Luck and Godspeed. - Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:06 PM   #5

Thanks for the well wishes. Today I started organizing and packing. I think things have gotten out of control just on tools and maintenance items (and a few items didn't make it in these pics). Not sure what I'd do if it wasn't for the under van storage (basement).

I haven't even started on living and leisure items yet!
Attached Thumbnails
Van maintenance.jpg   Van tools.jpg  

Old 01-01-2020, 09:41 PM   #6

I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:38 PM   #7

Garage
Sometimes we embark on a trip wishing we had the resources for items which under normal cercumstances may prove unnecessary - if you can think of anything you may feel more comfortable taking along (and don't currently posses) I'd be glad to lend what I have. Can ship it to you in a couple days, just send it back when you've concluded your adventure.
Ex: 120 watt suitcase solar with extra cable, all kinds of recovery gear, Noco battery power pack (4000a), extensive Merek first aid kit w/surgical tools, 3.5 gallon pressurized Waterport, couple Storm Cases, heck I'd let you use the Honda EU2200 if you wanted to pay for that shipping!
Just thinking of items that may prove useful - Be glad to help out - Just saying.....
Old 01-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #8

Wow Twoxentrix - That is a generous offer.

What I have discovered the last two days is that I have spent so many months gathering all the things I THINK I need I'm now finding my van isn't as big as I thought. This is after using it for the last 14 years. Soooo, all the tools and maintenance / repair items I packed yesterday were unpacked today, re-assessed, thinned out, and re-packed. I may have to do that process one more time once I get to packing living and leisure items!

One of my many problems is that I want to be able to fix pretty much anything (within reason) in a remote environment. While the concept is fine, you have to draw the line somewhere. I'll always have the SOS button on my Gamin InReach and Ripcord SAR / Extraction policy if everything goes to hell.

I thank you for the offer but for now I have more than I can carry.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:41 PM   #9

Garage
Safe travels. I'll check in on your blog.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:01 PM   #10

Garage
You are going to have the best time! Over packing is like a disease the same as over catering. Are you going to setup a bread crumb site to follow?