We are planning a road trip from CO to OR in mid-March during our son's spring break. Are we nuts? So far the intel I have gathered from the forum has us planning the following:
1) Alvord Playa/Hot Springs
2) Crater Lake NP/Timpanogos/Indigo
3) Umpqua NF/Rt 138 dispersed camping
4) Florence Dunes and camping
5) Alsea Rec Area for MTB
6) Whitman Farms(Salem) for Japanese Maple tree shopping
7) Netarts/Tillamook/Cannon Beach coastal drive
8) Astoria Bridge then Columbia River Scenic hwy to Portland
9) Multnomah Falls then on to The Dalles for some antiquing
10) Continue along the river to Pendleton(if they are open for tours I am doubting they will be open)
11) Homeward bound to CO
From what I gather, we won't see much of Crater Lake, but they do have the southern entrance open so we could at least get to see the Lake, we will have to come back another time to drive the loop.
What I am wondering is what types of conditions will we see on the rest of the trip, relatively speaking. Are we talking mostly winter conditions, or early spring muddy conditions? I am hoping the coast is mostly mild conditions, cold, but not a winter wonderland. What about the Columbia River drive, does that get socked in with winter conditions? I have looked at the ODOT page and most of the areas we plan on going to seem relatively clear, with the exception of Rt 138 and the area around Crater Lake. I am not afraid of encountering snow, just would like to know what we are getting into is all.
Any advice or tips for the trip would be greatly appreciated!