Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #31

Damn Rick, on the eve of your huge trip, with all the miles you will be traveling, and you break down right in front of a diesel shop, nearly within walking distance of home. You could not have planned that any better. I'm glad you got that out of the way now...............

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #32

clicking like high speed clicking? or something different?

On our long trip a few weeks ago Indiana roads decided to test a number of physical aspects of the rig and one thing I noticed was a new, engine speed related sound from somewhere under the dash, I would call it more like a buzz (sounds like the speedo cable when the car was cold on my dad's 70's impala when I was a kid) increases and decreased with engine speed and does change with steering wheel position (turn to the left and the sound decreases, steering wheel in neutral or to the right and it comes back). I didnt give it much thought since nothing seemed to be off with anything else -- assumed it was some small bit of plastic that came loose and was vibrating with the resonance of the motor, but now I am nervous since you described your sound as "clicking" ..... my brakes have been fine though .... 2000 miles later the buzzing still kinda comes and goes and brakes are fine.

When I have it in the shop here soon to get the radiator replaced I will have my guy take a look.
renegadeoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:05 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeoverland View Post
On our long trip a few weeks ago Indiana roads decided to test a number of physical aspects of the rig and one thing I noticed was a new, engine speed related sound from somewhere under the dash, I would call it more like a buzz (sounds like the speedo cable when the car was cold on my dad's 70's impala when I was a kid) increases and decreased with engine speed
It could well be the power steering pump or the drive belt, have you checked the fluid level? Also, unless you have a diesel, you don't have a vacuum pump to worry about.
Advanced 4wd
Old 06-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
It could well be the power steering pump or the drive belt, have you checked the fluid level? Also, unless you have a diesel, you don't have a vacuum pump to worry about.
She is a diesel ... 1998 7.3 PSD

I will check the level and have a full once over done with the radiator replacement in the next week or two for sure
renegadeoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #35
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Who's going to Alaska this summer?

I figure this is as good a place as any to post updates as we make our way up to and around AK, since it’s already going. I’ll start a new thread on our bigger journey when I get a chance.

The diesel shop was great in getting us back on the road by noon the following day.
Now I’ve got another issue, discovered in Glacier, dead headlights! Both of them this time!....Jeff, I know you carry an extra set and you’ve always been there when needed, get on the road already, meet you in Banff. The last time was just one light, and that turned out to be a burned out bulb discovered right before leaving for Baja, now I carry extra bulbs but not the ballasts. I’ve checked fuses, checked the bulbs and connections, swapped ballasts....nothing! So now we’re up in Waterton Lakes on the other side of the border with no headlights and no Amazon shipping options, I might check in at the Banff post office to see if we can have something sent. We might have to ship em up to our friends place in Anchorage and wait till we’re there by the end of the month-Bummer! I do have accessory fogs and driving lights to get me by, and good thing it stays lighter out later as we head north, but frustrating when this crap happens on the road in the middle of nowhere!
Maybe they’ll miraculously start working again......
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
The diesel shop was great in getting us back on the road by noon the following day.
Now I’ve got another issue, discovered in Glacier, dead headlights! Both of them this time!..........
Damn, that sounds familiar. Fortunately for you, it doesn't get dark till late, unlike when this exact same thing happened to me at your house. I think it's unlikely that both ballasts gave out at the same time, as you may remember, when this happened to me, it turned out to be a bad ground. The first symptom was a very low voltage at the ballast positive wire (well the fuse actually) If you have a solid 12.5Vdc or better on both sides of the fuse, (referencing that voltage to the spot where your ground is), the ballast should fire. If not, perhaps something fried the ballasts, but I kinda doubt it. Anyway, once you have explored with the volt meter and gotten no where, I could be persuaded to mount a rescue mission, but it will cost you a couple of your favorite beers. I do have a spare ballast and bulb, and had planned on getting a couple more before departing for Ak, so I could just do that now. Let me know.........................
Advanced 4wd
Old 06-28-2019, 02:21 AM   #37
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Who's going to Alaska this summer?

A few pics from along the way.....
Entering Glacier NP
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4590.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	28168
Waterton Lakes, the Canadian side of Glacier

Name:	IMG_4627.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	28167
Leaving Waterton we had our 1st bear siting this trip, momma with 2 cubs

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	28170
In a van(and a Lance), down by the river

Name:	IMG_0120.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	28172
Banff elk

Name:	IMG_0129.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	28173
Our new friend Henning, he’s got some stories from the road, and a blog to tell them, too bad it’s all in German!

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	28174
Lake Louise view from the hike

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	28175
Hey bear! Look here!

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	28176
More to come, we’re just off of the Denali highway, gotta get caught up!
Some from the Icefields Parkway
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0058.jpg   IMG_0147.jpg   IMG_0150.jpg  
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:58 AM   #38

Garage
Awesome. So wish I was "up north".

Old 06-28-2019, 07:51 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Awesome. So wish I was "up north".

Me too!

Rick, grab a headlight switch from any yard or parts place. Ford headlight switches do die! Should be a real cheap easy place to start.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:41 AM   #40

Great stuff... keep it coming! Thanks for posting.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote