Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
SMB portable electric lift? Whazzzat?
I've seen a device in the SMBw lobby that might be it. It looks kind of like a camper stabilizer jack with an electric motor attached to it.

Herb

Old 05-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #12

Herb is correct....the portable electric penthouse lift looks much like RV stablizer with a motor:

It incorporates the same motor used on electric hospital beds. The plates on each end are free to rotate slightly to compensate for not having the lift absolutely plumb. You place one end on the floor, centered on the penthouse bed, plug the electrical cable into the cig lighter, and push the rocker switch to start the motor which extends the lift. After the lift contacts the bottom of the bed, it pushes is up and then the penthouse itself.

The lift has a maximum capacity of 250 pounds as I recall. We have three of the older-style solar panels on top (maybe 75 pounds total) plus the kayak which weighs 55 pounds. But I was still having problems getting the lift to handle this load without blowing the 10 amp fuse. I purchased an analog bathroom scale (not the most accurate device but probably accurate within 10%) and put it on the floor of the van with the portable electric lift assist on top of it so that I could note the total load on the lift assist while raising the top. (The lift assist itself weighs 11 pounds and was subtracted from the readings.) The following readings were without the kayak in place and with the van in the driveway:

Bed platform free of rails - 55 pounds
Penthouse just starting up - 205 pounds
Maximum load reading - 220 pounds
Penthouse completely raised - 55 pounds

With the kayak in place (and the van level to make sure that wasn't a factor), the maximum load peaked at about 300 pounds. Although the fuse didn't blow, the plug tip was very hot indicating that the lift was pulling a lot of amperage.

I'm guessing that the unexpectedly high readings are due to the solar panels and the fact that the springs for the penthouse were adjusted to compensate for this additional permanent load. The maximum readings (with and without the kayak) were just before the point when the springs are at neutral; after that point, the readings start dropping as the springs take over for some of the load. This was also the point when the fuse blew when we were camping with the kayak. I'm not sure why the fuse didn't blow during these tests...maybe it is related to manufacturing tolerances for the fuses or repeatedly exceeding the maximum load on the lift assist weakens the fuse so that it pops at a later time but under the same conditions. Because of this problem, we had SMB readjust the springs slightly so that we can use the lift with the kayak on the top without blowing a fuse. Note that with this type of load, you need to also use the lift to lower the penthouse...the lift will keep it in control so that it doesn't drop unexpectedly. SMB also has some folding legs for the corners of the penthouse to support the roof when there is a non-permanent load on it. I also use them while winter camping so that the roof won't come down in the middle of the night.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:20 PM   #13

Garage
Good info, Jack. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Re: Adjusting the PH springs

Just adjusted mine last weekend:

Went shorter by two links.
Used a come-a-long, two adjustable links to attach and pull, one side at a time:

here are some pics:

Take apart the cross wood brace and unscrew till you get to this point:
Shot of back of Penthouse area, before unscrewing and setting aside the side trim:

This is where the come-a-long attaches

Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #15

Garage

Quote:
Just adjusted mine last weekend:
Thanks for the detailed post, I need to do the same. Did you cut off the 2 extra links or leave them attached?
Old 06-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #16

When I adjusted my springs I left the extra links attached.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Left the links on.. but micro zipped tied it (4) to make sure it doesn't rattle..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #18

Adjusting the PH springs

I need to adjust mine. Just added an aluminess roof rack with slats for flooring and the top is not only harder to pop but it won't stay up now.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #19

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
I need to adjust mine. Just added an aluminess roof rack with slats for flooring and the top is not only harder to pop but it won't stay up now.
I need to do the same. I have a come along winch, let's set aside a day to do this.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #20

Adjusting the PH springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
I need to do the same. I have a come along winch, let's set aside a day to do this.
Lets!
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote