Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #1

Anyone know about changing seats on a 2008 Ford E-350?

Ok quick brain pick on anyone who might know.
As part of the Disabled Explorers 4x4 Wheelchair Accessible SMB build I want to install a power transfer seat base and change out to racing style seats that have more side support for when we have folks with less upper body control offroading.

Mstercraft has this seat
http://www.mastercraftseats.com/bajars.php

Which doesn't have too high a sides on the bottom to make transfer difficult.

However my big question is: are there any strange computer bits that would keep me from changing out the seats? I have a call into SMB West to see what they think but I wanted to run it by the group here.

I would be replacing 3 seats total, drivers/passenger and a 3rd cap. behind the driver (EB70 floorplan).

All thoughts are welcome.
Lance

Old 08-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #2

Re: Anyone know about changing seats on a 2008 Ford E-350?

You might want to talk to http://www.discountvantruck.com/ also. These guys seem to know their stuff and I have talked to them a bit trying to figure out a forward folding van seat (they have pointed me to an astro van seat). Probably quite a bit cheaper than ordering through SMB also.

Mark
beernutmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #3

Last year, when I was in the buying process, I explored the option to switch out seats.

At the time, SMB West said they wouldn't offer any other seat options nor would they refer or assist me in getting other options. Hopefully you will get better assistance.

As you may realize, if you go with the power option, you can't get the rotate ability.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #4

The van they are building for me currently has the power drivers seat so I am searching for a manual seat to swap out. I hope to either talk the dealer they use into a trade or find someone with a 2008 who would like to upgrade to a power seat in exchange for a manual.

Ya gotta love all this computer stuff that makes changing things nearly impossible.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #5

I've heard there is a sensor in the seat that ties to the airbag system. If the seat is occupied and the airbag sensors go off the seat belt retracts and that seat airbag deploys. Well passenger anyway, I don't know if the system is duplicated on the driver's side. If it's disconnected the airbag light will be on and the airbag shouldn't deploy. SMB adds long wires to account for the swivel (I know because my van came with the extension too short and the harness got pulled apart).

SMB gets the vans with uncovered seats and adds not only the swivel (or power base etc) but the wire extensions. They should know what is going on (SMB TX originally fixed my airbag light and extended the wires more on my van).

I've also heard of making these sensors more accurate to determine (compute) whether to set off the airbag (eg. if a 72lb child is in the seat). Whether that is being done anywhere already or just conjecture I have no idea.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #6

Hi,

I have a power transfer seat base on the drivers side. I have a modified EB-50 that had room left for that very purpose. I don't know the brand but it was installed by Adaptive Driving Systems in San Luis Obispo, CA. It is the only one they have done so they should have all the details. They have installed all my adaptive equipment on my van: Braun UVL, Harmar Exterior scooter lift, motorized drivers side running board.

Good Luck,

Linda
lmsewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:45 AM   #7

Linda thanks for the info, I will contact them and find out the details.

So you are using an underbody lift without any issues?

I am still trying to work out all the details as the 2008 has a black box under the seat which makes it tough.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #8

Hi,

I am not having any issues with the UVL, but it would kill your ground clearance for a 4x4. Talk to John at Adaptive Driving about issues. I know he moved quite a few things in doing my modifications. He talked to SMB-West about some of the issues.

Good Luck,

Linda
lmsewell is offline   Reply With Quote