Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #1

Blackstone Laboratories Oil Analysis

I thought I'd share my first oil analysis from Blackstone Labs in case anyone was interested.

I am running the Amsoil dual remote bypass oil filter system. I did my first oil change at 5,700 miles back in February 2008. This was a complete oil and filter change. I used the Amsoil synthetic 15W/40. In the middle of October at 13,900 miles, I changed out both oil filters and replaced the lost oil (3 qts) with the same Amsoil synthetic. I collected the oil from the filter, which may have messed up the results a bit. Of course I realized this in hindsight.

Based on the results, I will probably do another full oil and filter change around 20k miles.

Here are the comments from Blackstone on the test results:
Quote:
Thanks for the note, that you've partially changed this oil. The fresh oil you’ve added should help dilute the wear concentrations that have built up in this oil. Copper and lead are from the bearings. We
are not sure why they're reading high, but silicon might have something to do with it, if the silicon is dirt. Suggest checking the entire air filtration system for leaks. Or, if this engine is still pretty new, the metals and
silicon could be leftover wear-in materials, in which case they'll drop next time. The TBN read 6.0, still plenty high. Check back in 8000-9000 miles.
The following were above the universal averages: Iron, Copper, Silicon, and Calcium. The rest of the results were average or below. The viscosity readings were also a little low. I will definitely continue to do these tests.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
You didn't plan to do a complete change? The AMSOIL guy suggested to use the cleaner and do a complete change after the first change. In my case I did standard oil changes with Ford oil but more frequent. After that I changed as Ford recommends until 25K. I always replaced all the filters at each change and at 25K started using the actual AMSOIL. Even with all the overkill (IMO) they still said to do a full oil change with the AMSOIL after going to the full synthetic.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:04 PM   #3

Dave - I was told by Jim (AMSOIL rep) that my first complete oil change was the only one I would have to do. Afterwards, it was recommended to change the oil filters and lost oil every year or 15k miles, whichever comes first. I was planning on being a lot more conservative than that. I will be doing another complete oil change around 20k miles though.

What cleaner are you referring to?
Old 11-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Don't know what the part number is but Jim sent it to me along with the oil and filters. You run it for 15 min just before the oil change. Of course he recommends letting it sit overnight so the oil is cool but I want the oil hot. Ok when you have a friend who owns a shop. I'll try to find the invoice.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #5

I would think that by testing the oil from the filter will have higher levels of contaminants than if you drew an oil sample through the dipstick tube. After all the filter is the part of the system where all of the contaminants will be concentrated and when you punch a hole in the bottom of the filter you may be getting oil from the dirty side of the element. If you are spending the money on the tests, I would recommend buying a pump which will draw the oil out through the dipstick tube. These are sold by both Amsoil and Blackstone and are not that expensive. When taking the sample the engine should be at operating temperature.

John
Old 11-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #6

Thanks John, and I completely agree which is why I mentioned it in my original post. Of course I didn't think about it until after I took the sample.

My plan is to do a complete oil & filter change again around 20k miles. I will also send in a sample of the new (unused) Amsoil for a base comparison. I will then take my samples using the pump method.