Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2023, 09:06 PM   #1

CRL Side Window Replacement options?

Hi all. 1999 RB50 owner since July this year. After some initial sticker shock, I'm absolutely loving the unique freedom of traveling and camping in this thing.

Immediately after purchase I did some updates to modernize the van's appearance (mostly front end and lighting). I would now like to update the CRL side windows. My awning window has the usual stripped gearbox, and the driver-side slider is also a bit janky.

I don't need either to open since I haven't found a need for either. Interested to hear if anyone has discovered a modern replacement for either.

jamlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 12:47 PM   #2

I use the tilt out windows often as they work great when raining on a trip.

Tell us more about your van. It looks great. Is that an AC on top? Engine? Accessories?

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 10:22 PM   #3

Hi KTMRider. I think I'm going to try to rebuild that awning window.

Yes, that's a 12v AC unit up top. The van is a 2000 7.3 Quigley EB50. It has been a California truck its whole life.

When I got the van it already had some 21st C upgrades - LiPos, solar, etc and I've done some additional work - the biggest improvement being fitting the updated front suspension setup that is referenced on this forum. It's now pretty decent to drive on and off road.

Changing-out the 90's-style billet grille to a stock utility Econoline front end with LED lighting (generic 5x7 headlamps and Hella Black Magic spots) was a huge improvement, too - now I can see at night, and the correct, factory grille allows a heap more airflow over the AC condenser, which is important where I live!

In my six months of ownership it has been from Southern California up to Washington and back. Right now it is in Idaho on a ski trip. My wife and boy love camping in it and the van has allowed us to stay in places that very few people will ever get to even see. It's simply a magic experience and really don't think there's a better way to travel the Western United States.

Old 12-28-2023, 12:08 AM   #4

Super nice van. Glad you are enjoying it and I agree they are a unique way to travel and explore. Even just taking an afternoon trip to the beach to hangout and watch the sunset is nice…..
I had the 7.3 in a previous van and the Agile RIP kit did wonders for the ride. We need to get a few forum meetups and camping trips this year like the old days.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 10:50 AM   #5

You might contact "1der", a great guy and frequent contributor to this forum, about getting CRL window replacements and parts. He's a great resource in this area.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:25 AM   #6

What's the brand of AC unit and BTU rating ? Did the van come with a StarCool installed ?How did you remove StarCool and rerout cooling vents, etc ? Others may be interested in your AC project removal/install ? Nice looking van - a lot like my 2002 V10 Quigley !
Thanks -
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 01:51 PM   #7

Hi All, greetings from Baja, having a great trip.

jamlip - I am pretty sure the gearbox for your awning window is CRL p/n GBOX46R. If you have the build sheet from SMB it might have the window model#.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:14 PM   #8

Thank you! I think I have the build sheet amongst the vehicle documentation - I'll take a look.

I wouldn't mind replacing the window, but failing that, a gearbox and some new outer gaskets for the two panes would help bring it back to life.
Old 01-04-2024, 10:28 AM   #9

I had to replace the side window on my 2001 EB for the same reason. Stripped gear and the weather stripping was worn. I ordered mine here:

https://www.campervan-hq.com/product...window-fw904rs

I was able to pickup directly from the Union City warehouse.

Old 01-04-2024, 07:34 PM   #10

Just for clarification - the OP's passenger side awning window looks to not be the FW904RS frameless All Glass Look awning window since it looks like it has the perimeter exterior metal frame. I do not remember what model that is. Pretty sure what the OP has required a larger cutout than the FW904RS.

I think shenrie might have the model #.