Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2020, 11:46 AM   #21

Ah, we have the 6.0 diesel—anyone have any perspective on how much space we have? And I did not plan ahead to get the tools to measure the decibels, but it did sound a bit more muffled when I drove it today. Also becoming very clear we are getting a lot of road noise through the floor, a project for another day.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #22

You can get a free app for your phone and measure dB.
It seems I had the greatest benefits with speeds up to about 55 MPH with the 7.3 diesel. Above 55 MPH, especially at my test speed of 70 MPH, the absolute noise level was still a bit too high to have a normal conversation. However, I was able to shave off another couple of dB with the second hoodliner on inside of the doghouse and insulating the cup holder/cabinet that is attached to the doghouse. Still brooding on something else I can do... getting very close to being able to have normal conversation at highway speed.
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:23 PM   #23

I should have thought about the app before I started! I also was wondering about the cup holder portion....will take a crack at that
Old 08-27-2020, 03:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
^^^^^I'll endorse this as well - Have the same (with a 6.0 under the hood), and barely get any heat on the inside. ^^^^
Do you happen to know whether you have two layers under your doghouse?

And separate topic, I thought I saw a thread where you upgraded your brakes, but I am not finding it. Am I mis-remembering?
Old 08-27-2020, 03:34 PM   #25

Garage
I do have two layers and it's worked great.

As far as the brake upgrade, My 2006 had the original Brakeman upgrade offered by Sportsmobile. If your Van doesnt have these, I'm not sure the following explanation will help you:
This year I had the calipers pulled (as recommended every 3-4yrs) and sent back to Brakeman to rebuild. The shop that has been performing most of my work discovered the Brakeman rotors used were actually undersized (the brake pads hung over the edge of the rotors and were not fully utilized). Shop upgraded to a larger Wilwood rotor (14.25x1.25,) which works so much better! I also had them do the Hydroboost conversion.
Couple Pictures in my album detailing the parts
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...cture42628.jpg

Brake pedal now feels like I'm driving a luxury car, and the stopping power is just as surprising. Together, they represent the Best investment I've made on my Van to date!

Couple links concerning the brakes which you may be recalling:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...des-25757.html
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...akes-4060.html
And I also posted it on the "what did you do to your Sportsmobile today?" thread
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post271216
Post #2968

Tags
doghouse, engine, insulation, noise, sound