For those of you that are considering soundproofing your SMB with Dynamat products here is an overview of my project and what I did. Simply put, I am blown away with the results, feel it was worth every moment of effort and definitely recommend it, especially for other diesel owners.
I started by taking some sound readings with an app I downloaded called Decibel 10th. I’m sure any similar app will work as long as you take both the before and after readings with the same app. I have not yet taken the “After” readings yet as it has been raining (wet roads) and I want the environmental conditions to be as close to the same conditions when I made the “Before” readings. My wife and I made readings with the device in the same location in the vehicle, located between the driver and passenger seats. We recorded readings for many different phases including idle, accelerating from stopped position, 10, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75 mph as well as deceleration. We also plotted this on one stretch of road so that the results can be compared as scientifically as possible.
I can say, without a doubt, based on what I have heard with my own ears, that I expect dramatic results once we are able to take the after readings. I will post them as soon as I am able. I’ll put it this way. I was in a hurry to leave for a trip with the van after the completion of the project and I was pulling a 3 horse slant trailer. I called my wife who was following me to where we would drop the truck she was driving to tell her how nice a job she did detailing the interior of the van. During that call I was saying how something was different but I could not put my finger on it. Then she asked me “HOW DOES IT SOUND?” With all of the rushing to get going and the new quiet interior I forgot about the old noise. I told her that now it seemed that the A/C vents in the dash were the loudest thing I could hear! Unbelieveable!
Here’s what we did.
I started by doing quite a bit of research and quickly ruled out using any other products after a lot of reading and speaking with many people in the sound and custom car fields. This also included my brother who is a sound engineer. I won’t bore you with the details or why, it was just my decision to then go with the Dynamat product line.
I got the best deal from Best Buy with Free Shipping (Dynamat is heavy) with the total cost at $655.00 for my order which consisted of:
Two (2) - Dynamat - Hoodliner 32" x 54" x 3/4" Thermo-Acoustic Insulation Packs
Two (2) - Dynamat - Xtreme 18" x 32" Sound-Dampening Sheets (9-Pack/36 SF) (for a total of 72 SF)
Three (3) Dynamat - Dynapad 32" x 54" x 3/8" Sound-Dampening Material Packs
One (1) roll of dynatape
One (1) application roller
We pulled the front seats, doghouse and carpeting in the front of the van forward of the plywood floor. Under our carpet was the rebond type foam padding which we removed. Left behind was quite a bit of adhesive that SMB had applied when installing the carpet. We used the citrus based “Goo Gone” which I use for many things and was not disappointed with its ability to cut the old adhesive.
After several cleanings followed by several wipe downs with rubbing alcohol, we began applying the Dynamat Extreme. As you can see in the photos we applied it to the entire floor, wells and as far up under the firewall as possible. I also applied some small pieces to any brackets or other items that may create noise from vibrating such as the knee guard on the passenger side.
We then removed all six (6) door panels, speakers, hardware, etc. and installed full Dynamat Extreme coverage behind the panels. During this process I discovered the original (working) power door switch for the rear cargo door (passenger side) stuffed inside the door cavity. It must have been forgotten about during the original SMB build. I was both happy to find it and concerned that something like that might have either caused me problems (i.e. battery drain, short, etc.) in a remote area or just trying to locate a problem with my power locks. Funny thing is, previous owner had told me that power locks would some time lock him out when he would close doors hard. Was this the culprit? I hope so. In addition to the Dynamat Extreme, I installed DynaPad on the interior of the front door trim panels after removing the stock “Jute” padding that Ford had installed at the factory.
With the doors completed, I returned to the front floor and installed as much DynaPad as I could and again as far up under the firewall as possible. This was accomplished with the help of 3M Super 77 adhesive spray. I was well pleased with how well the product worked. I used Dynatape on the seams but was not impressed with its adhesive ability on the Dynapad.
We then installed new matching carpet also using the same adhesive spray. I took this opportunity to install a new 4x4 boot from Quigley since everything else was looking good. I was careful to trim and install the carpet in such a way that would allow the doghouse seal to make 100% contact with the metal floor / surround.
Prior to reinstalling the doghouse, I installed Dynamat – Hoodliner to the engine side of the doghouse. I also reconditioned the doghouse seal with a silicone lubricant to maintain its flexibility. I then installed doghouse, seats, trim and all other items previously removed for the project.
Finally, I removed the hood, cleaned thoroughly finishing with alcohol and installed Dynamat – Hoodliner.
If anyone needs any information about this project just let me know.
Will post DB readings soon.