Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2021, 10:58 AM   #1

E-350 + Fox 2.0 + shock straps?

Hey guys

just getting my workhorse lifted, 35" tires on and the "usual stuff" :-)
Will post my story once fully done.

One question I have:
For those who have limit straps on their rear shocks, any chance to post some pictures how you mounted them on the upper side?

Lower side is fine, as I would just hook it up on the regular bolt, but upper side is not as easy.

And for those thinking "why the hell does he want that?":
I driving the van loaded and more or less empty. When empty the body sits fairly high and before the suspension upgrade I had the problem that it bounced back and "bottomed out" at higher speed. So I had a very strong kick in the rear.
I just want to avoid similar issues with the expensive Fox shocks. I know we can talk about adjusting suspension and back and forth, but straps is what I want to do :-)

E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:30 PM   #2

On the front of my van there is a tab welded underneath my frame rail, just inboard of the shock, that the top of my limit strap bolts to, the bottom bolt is shared with the shock. I do not have them on the rear at this time, but the same could be done by either welding tabs on the upper shock crossmember, or better yet, on the frame near the bumpstops which may benefit from taps welded to the axle outboard of the shocks to keep the pull straight inline. There's no standard size so to speak, just make sure that your suspension is hanging on the strap 1/2"-1" before anything else tops out, and the straps are as close to straight in line with the suspension's arc of travel as possible. A properly setup suspension should include bump stops and limit straps IMO, so no need to defend it as if it's some sort of band-aid.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #3

yep, will need to think about the front as well. But for now my main concern is the rear. I was thinking about drilling a hole in the red marked spot, use a M8 bolt or so and the regular strap mounts. The strap would be 90 degrees "bend" when connected at the bottom to the regular lower shock bolt, but as I'm not planning to use it once a day I guess that's fine and will at least keep up a few times.

E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote