Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2017, 10:20 PM   #1

Effective campsite A/C for under $300

After a sweltering visit to California, I decided it was time to finally install some airconditioning. Being retired, my budget is slim, but I found a workable solution. A small window A/C and a generator. The problem is, often times a small generator wont start an A/C compressor. There's another recent thread that describes using a capacitor across the line to assist with start-up. Anyway, I got a little 1000W Harbor freight gen, used for around $50 (thanks Rally) but new they can be had for around $100. The window A/C unit was $129. Sure, they won't last long, but summer will be over soon and I want to test the entire idea. The A/C unit only draws 4.1A on high and the gen is good for around 10, so I thought it should run it, but would it start it? YUP, it does, success. Since it only draws 4.1A, I could even run it off the inverter, and if I added another solar panel, the net loss from the batteries would be pretty low in full sunlight. It would probably run all day with out depleting the batterys much. Anyway, I tested it by placing it just inside the rear door and letting it run for about 30 minutes, and it lowered the the temp inside around 10degs with an outside temp of around 80degs. I expect that running it longer will improve the performance even more due to the original heat soak of the interior. , It also sucked a ton of water out of the air too, based on how much ran out the back. So, now to remove the rear window, cut a piece of plywood to fit the window and the A/C, then figure out how to mount it so that it's still there after one of the vans regular but unexpected hard landings. I'm thinking of a shelf on both sides, extending the full length of the housing, and a stiff leg from under the shelf to the bumper. Any other ideas on how to mount it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4729.JPG (94.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4732.jpg (47.2 KB, 39 views)
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote