Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2022, 08:12 PM   #1

Fiamma Awning Problem

I have a 2016 4x4 Sprinter SMB with the F65s awning. Worked perfectly yesterday, but after extending the awning today it will not retract. The roller that the awning is attached to doesn't rotate when you try to crank it in.

Nothing in the Troubleshooting Guide seems to fit this problem. I don't want to break anything but I'm at a loss for a solution.

The awning was not fully extended yesterday but it was today if that helps.

Any ideas?

Thanks

mrrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:32 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Does the crank just spin? On mine it does require a bit of torque to get it to retract.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:10 PM   #3

I see something on the winch moving regardless of the direction I crank, but the roller only moves to unroll (not much since the awning is fully extended).
Old 07-18-2022, 03:45 PM   #4

Garage
Slap the ends of the housing to see if it free's it up - just like we all did back in the day to fix our computer glitches. Possibly a small piece of branch or twig stuck in the gears???
Twoxentrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:51 AM   #5

I never slapped a computer on its side; however I do remember the days of rabbit ear antennas on TV's and having to hold them "just right" to get any picture at all.

Sorry, knocking it around didn't help.

Thanks for the thought... where in Maryland are you from? I'm in Montgomery County.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:31 AM   #6

Garage
Annapolis - you’re just down the street! Have you seen the East Coast meet-up Carl has arranged for mid Sept?
Old 07-25-2022, 09:32 AM   #7

When my Fiamma wouldn’t retract into the case a few years ago, I called Fiamma in Florida. A very helpful employee spent nearly two hours troubleshooting on the phone with me. I was impressed with his level of dedication, and we finally got it to work!
SportyGma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:37 AM   #8

Garage
@Sportygma: Do you recall what it was that provided the ‘fix’? This would prove useful (for future reference) in the event anyone else experiences the same issue.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:38 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyGma View Post
When my Fiamma wouldn’t retract into the case a few years ago, I called Fiamma in Florida. A very helpful employee spent nearly two hours troubleshooting on the phone with me. I was impressed with his level of dedication, and we finally got it to work!
Your awning problem may be unique, or it may plague others too. Can you share what the fix was, so it's documented here?

thanks,
Herb
Old 07-25-2022, 01:09 PM   #10

Mine does something similar on occasion when fully extended on mine the problem is the joint on the extension arm gets “hyper extended” for lack of a better term and I need to go to the center and lightly pull inwards well cranking to get the joint moving in the right direction. This is on an F45s
Sporkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, close, fiamma