Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2021, 03:42 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork-N-Road View Post
It seems like there is a lot of interest in the newer door panels (me included), would it be easier and/or more cost effective to build a pig tail that would connect the old style harness to the new style door panel?
Built it and they will come... let me be the first on your list.

Old 10-11-2021, 03:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork-N-Road View Post
It seems like there is a lot of interest in the newer door panels (me included), would it be easier and/or more cost effective to build a pig tail that would connect the old style harness to the new style door panel?
Doing this swap is a bit more involved if you want to use the new style switches. I tried just re-pinning the wires and ended up frying the new switches.

Thats because the new style switches arent designed to withstand voltage loads. They are only designed to complete a ground circuit which then engages a relay to transfer the voltage to the window motor. If you try to wire them up with the existing wires without adding a relay circuit you end up frying the new switches. I ended up using two relays and the new style switches.

The benefit of the new switches is that you only have to press the switch momentarily and the window automatically goes down all the way instead of having to hold it until the window is completely down.
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
Doing this swap is a bit more involved if you want to use the new style switches. I tried just re-pinning the wires and ended up frying the new switches.

Thats because the new style switches arent designed to withstand voltage loads. They are only designed to complete a ground circuit which then engages a relay to transfer the voltage to the window motor. If you try to wire them up with the existing wires without adding a relay circuit you end up frying the new switches. I ended up using two relays and the new style switches.

The benefit of the new switches is that you only have to press the switch momentarily and the window automatically goes down all the way instead of having to hold it until the window is completely down.
I’d say keep it simple then and just use the existing switches, I’m use to holding the button, no big deal.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
I did this swap in my 2005. The later model grey color does not match the grey in the earlier model years. Doesnt seem like there would be that much difference but once installed the difference is obvious. Just a heads up.

A person can probably buy some spray on plastic dye or paint from ford maybe?
Here’s a 09+ drink holder against a 08 doghouse. Not quite as dramatic a difference as the pic of the 08 dash against 09+door panel probably because of the angles and more vs less light.
Attached Thumbnails
6ED94EAF-CF79-4DD8-9C18-63504CD2F307.jpg  
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:29 PM   #35

Its alot of work to make the switches work properly. Some people enjoy challenges and some people dont. You could make a pigtail that incorporates the relays and plugs into the main wiring harness under the dash. But i dont know that it would be cost effective to do it for profit considering the time involved in making each individual harness. Im not promoting anything, just sharing information from my own experience doing this swap. Then add in the liability issue should someones van short out and burn to the ground, lol. Better to just keep it simple and reuse the old switches in most cases.
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:07 PM   #36

The first quote for the mold to do the driver’s side came back at nearly $7000. The passenger’s side would be similar. Think we could get 200 people to buy a set at $70?

The design for the passenger side is just about done. I will be 3D printing another iteration then I will seek a quote from a different supplier and see if it comes back any better.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #37

I would be up for a pair! Been looking for a solution like this. The switches are the one thing that's been holding me back from doing the swap.I was planning on just making adapter harnesses. I know it's not hard, just time, but I have more important projects to do. These would make it super quick and easy! I can really go either way on the mirror switch though. Plug-and-play is always nice though....
Nisk916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:32 AM   #38

I finally managed to get the latest iteration printed, finished and installed. I’ve got a few tweaks to the dimensions to make, but overall the fit is decent and workable.

The up/down/lock switch installation was easy, and after I ordered the right mirror switch, the connector harness for that wasn’t too bad at all.

Now I just have to find somebody who will injection mold it cost effectively. Guess I will go to an overseas supplier if I have to.
Attached Thumbnails
3EE689CF-DA25-4F1D-AE7D-5F656D3D42A0.jpg   09CC83DF-567A-43FF-BF4C-D252305982F4.jpg  
Old 12-08-2021, 07:38 AM   #39

Garage
Looks great Mikerson & I'm still interested - will continue following in hopes you manage some type of production agreement.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerson View Post

Now I just have to find somebody who will injection mold it cost effectively. Guess I will go to an overseas supplier if I have to.
A few suggestions......

If you can find a Chinese molder that can do a single cavity aluminum tool that may be the best way to go.....check out Arrk, they do soft tools and urethane off of silicone..discussed below....I've got a few parts with them for work and the molder is in China.

www.arrk.com

You can also talk to rapid prototypers about making urethane parts off of silicone molds; that's usually good for 10-30 parts or so per mold. Urethane may or may not be robust enough for these panels.....

These days you can find 3D printer services that can do ABS or ABS-like materials for prices not much different than urethane parts when you need small quantities greater than 10 pieces or so.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote