Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #11

What is the cost?

K31 Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:58 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 Van View Post
What is the cost?
If you click on the link arctictraveller presented in the 6th post of this Thread, you'll get an idea
Old 08-10-2020, 10:21 PM   #13

UPDATE: I installed the new all aluminum welded radiator which turned out to have been made in Thailand. It came with two extra hose barb fittings, one on top and one on the bottom. It also came with two threaded shoulder bolts with thin rubber gaskets designed to block off the two unused hose fittings. Unfortunately, they didn't seal properly due to the fact that the fitting was tapered and the end was very thin. Threading the bolt into the hole until the gasket made contact, and then slightly tightening the bolt resulted in the thin gasket being squeezed out of place. So, I got a couple short pieces of hose and fabricated a plug for each clamped with hose clamps. Then I went for a drive and all seemed well, but when I got home I heard dripping. I though it was my hose pieces, but they were dry. It turned out that the radiator leaked from the top tank seam, where it is connected to the tubes. By this time, I was pretty annoyed and decided to return it. I called Performance and the guy asked for a photo of it leaking which I sent. He then sent a pre paid mailing label so I could return it. My next call was to a local custom radiator shop where I inquired about building an all copper and brass radiator. The guy told me he makes them occasionally, and the cost would be around $1500!!! So I asked about another all aluminum one but he told me he really didn't like them because he as seen so many failures due to the continuous expansion and contraction work hardening the aluminum resulting in cracking in a couple years. He says he builds a few of them for show cars and a few sprint cars, but he recommended I go with the stock type with the plastic tank that he guarantees. I asked if any were available with an additional row for more cooling but he wasn't aware of any and in addition he felt it could result in excess cooling at times. The thermostat will help, but he thought the extra cooling could result in the PCM failing to lean out the mixture as it normally does once the engine reaches normal operating temps and stays there. So, tomorrow I'll pull the aluminum one and by then I should have my new plastic and aluminum one. Interestingly, the price was within $5 of the Aluminum one. Hopefully, this time when I drain the bottom tank it will empty the entire system and I won't take a coolant bath like I did last time. I'm sure glad I have lots of time..........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:21 AM   #14

Garage
Wow - failure right out of the box, I CAN imagine your disappointment!
I’ve had mine in for over 5 years now with no issues, wish I had the paperwork identifying the manufacture - I do know it was American made.
What about Mishimoto? Do they have one for an E-350?
Old 08-11-2020, 05:56 AM   #15

Garage
Yeah, that sucks and is a pain in the rear. Better, though, for it to fail now than later.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
What about Mishimoto? Do they have one for an E-350?
The shop looked for either a Koyo or a Cryomax brand, but neither were available and I ended up with a Dixon brand which was highly recommended by the shop owner. My confidence is high on this one, as the chances of two failures in a row should be pretty slim.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote