Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #21

Re: Penthouse Ceiling Retrofit

That was the primary thought, secondary was it took my a couple of weekends, and living in the the Northwest I expected rain, by doing the second washer on the inside I was able to snug everything up with out putting it all back together. I attached the strips with glue and screws, it is a lot easier screwing into the top when you can actually see what is there. I no longer have the saggy corners with screws pulling out, which is pretty standard with most SMB's I have seen.

I probably did not need the inserts, I could have just screwed into my new plywood strips. Using the inserts actually took more effort to get every thing lined up. I used #8 wood screws, I believe 1" as I was going through 1/2 plywood. They were most likely Kreg or McFeely's, as far as brand. Just take your time, when you pull down the top it becomes pretty clear how it works. I used 4x4's and 2X4;s across the bed rails to block it up.

-greg

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #22

I decided to tackle this project. Thinking I may have bit off more than I can chew. Before starting with the interior I decided to redo that exterior PH top. I sanded it and recoated it with Herculiner.(which looks awesome. When taking off the lifting blocks accidentally mixed them up. One of them had a loose piece of wood that I think was used for extra support. Are the front and back lifting blocks supposed to be identical? Or is one supposed to be more secure? Thanks Any thoughts on a type of t-nut I could use that most hardware stores would have?
Tkkujawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkkujawa
I decided to tackle this project. Thinking I may have bit off more than I can chew. Before starting with the interior I decided to redo that exterior PH top. I sanded it and recoated it with Herculiner.(which looks awesome. When taking off the lifting blocks accidentally mixed them up. One of them had a loose piece of wood that I think was used for extra support. Are the front and back lifting blocks supposed to be identical? Or is one supposed to be more secure? Thanks Any thoughts on a type of t-nut I could use that most hardware stores would have?

The blocks are not identical......one captures the crossbar and only allows it to pivot; the other allows the crossbar to pivot and slide. If the crossbar was constrained from sliding, the top wouldn't go up or down.......the one with the hole pattern for the handles goes in the front.

Where are you attempting to use a t-nut?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #24

I was thinking of using some type of t-nut bolt to re-attach the PH and lifting blocks Just looking for a good way to re-attach that is a good water tight solution, since it is already taken apart. That helps on the blocks thanks. It seems like the piece of wood on lifting blocks on the back came loose. So Im guessing that is the one that allows it only to pivot.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #25

It us not apparent to me where you would be using T-nuts.

-greg
Old 10-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #26

Sorry I would be using the Tnuts just like you did through the PH roof top to the inside lifting blocks. Just was wondering if there was something like these I could get at a hardware store. Thanks
Old 10-10-2015, 12:52 PM   #27

Also what is the reason SMB attaches the bolts in the PH that the nut goes to the roof instead of starting the bolt at the roof and the nut on the inside of the PH?
Old 10-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkkujawa
Also what is the reason SMB attaches the bolts in the PH that the nut goes to the roof instead of starting the bolt at the roof and the nut on the inside of the PH?
cosmetics.......although if your bolts are cut off with a hack saw like mine were it doesn't really matter which way they go in since both ends get covered with decorative caps. The bolts that hold the handles need to go from the bottom up IIRC.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #29

One of the reasons I came down through the top and used the extra washers and nuts was to create the seal on the top without worrying about connecting the panels. I can pull down the everything down and not change undo the seal. As boywonder says the only bolts that presented any difficulty in going the other direction were the ones that went the 1960 vintage silver handles handles. I replaced those with something else that did not present that problem.

-greg
Old 10-15-2015, 03:22 PM   #30

Ended up starting the project. I figured if I was going to redo the interior I better make sure it doesn't leak again first, so I decided to Herculine the PH Top. Bought a kit form auto parts store and started cranking away. Went on pretty easy and simple. Did two coats and I think it looks awesome. No more leaks and set up nicely. Next I will start taking down the interior.
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed-4.jpg   unnamed-6.jpg   unnamed-5.jpg