Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2024, 02:50 PM   #1

Project 1993 EB

Hey folks.
Bay Area guy here.
I just bought a 1993 2wd Extended SMB with 94k
It has the 5.8 windsor.

I like to do a project thread on vehicles to post the work that gets done and see if I can get a conversation going about issues I'm dealing with.

I'm an artist and enjoy painting and exploring nature.
I grew up working on cars and have a little professional experience as a mechanic etc.

I have been living in a converted 4x4 Astro van for the past year and I'm really excited to have something bigger and more capable.

I have a lot of plans for this thing, including a 4x4 swap.
But first it needs to run right and I have some rust to deal with.

I'm attaching some photos to get the ball rolling.
I will add nicer photos when I get to actually take it on a trip.

I added some photos of the rust in the gutters, which is worrying.
It looks like the previous owner tried to cover it up using flexseal.
I have a little experience tig welding sheet metal but I really dont feel like patching this thing. I may have to though.

I also added a photo of the codes that showed up when it failed smog. No CEL of course. This is my first OBDI vehicle lol, Im pretty ignorant about it.

The guy said an EGR hose was unplugged, which is my punishment for not pulling the doghouse off myself I guess.
The cooling system code is likely due to it being about a gallon low.
I got a great deal on it which is why I didn't make the PO smog it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the rust, and what will fix these codes. I had a chat with the smog guy, whom I trust. He said to check for vacuum leaks and replace the o2 sensors.

More soon.
Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
image4.jpeg   image5.jpeg   image0.jpeg   image1.jpeg   image3.jpeg  

image9.jpeg   image14.jpeg   image17.jpeg   image13.jpeg  

Mwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 11:49 AM   #2

Its raining here in norcal, the van is waiting with a tarp on it. maybe ill do some engine work from inside this weekend.

in the mean time I have a couple questions:
Is there an info tag anywhere on the smb? there is no tag on the drivers door frame where it should usually be.
I want to know what the van's rear end ratio is. also what the GVWR and curb weight are.
I am trying to order O2 sensors and on rockauto there is a spec for gvwr over 8500 lbs and under 8500lbs. Im thinking I need the heavier ones.

also: what kind of insulation, if any, is in the walls of this thing? the floor seems too low to be insulated. Id like to replace it with polyiso foam eventually but im curious if there is anything to begin with.

Mitch
Old 01-21-2024, 01:21 PM   #3
rnj

That is strange you don’t have a sticker on the door frame. I just looked, my 95 E250 has a Ford Incomplete vehicle sticker on the driver’s door which shows axle code and an SMB sticker on the doorframe with handwritten information. I have a semi float rear axle and the Ford sticker shows GVWR = 8550 lbs. I wonder if E250 semi float is less than/equal 8550 lbs, full float greater than 8550 lbs. Possibly E150 less than 8500 lbs, E250, E350 greater than 8500 lbs? Mine has a metal tag bolted to the differential cover between two of the bolts with rear axle Info. Been awhile since I looked at it, I think it shows Ratio and LS if Limited Slip. Try your VIN on a VIN Decoder website maybe it would show some of that info.

I also think insulation was optional, I don’t think my van has any.
Hankook Dynapro ATs 225/75-16 LRE
New to me 10/2008 - 2nd owner
rnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 02:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnj View Post
That is strange you don’t have a sticker on the door frame. I just looked, my 95 E250 has a Ford Incomplete vehicle sticker on the driver’s door which shows axle code and an SMB sticker on the doorframe with handwritten information. I have a semi float rear axle and the Ford sticker shows GVWR = 8550 lbs. I wonder if E250 semi float is less than/equal 8550 lbs, full float greater than 8550 lbs. Possibly E150 less than 8500 lbs, E250, E350 greater than 8500 lbs? Mine has a metal tag bolted to the differential cover between two of the bolts with rear axle Info. Been awhile since I looked at it, I think it shows Ratio and LS if Limited Slip. Try your VIN on a VIN Decoder website maybe it would show some of that info.

I also think insulation was optional, I don’t think my van has any.
awesome information thank you.
I will look again more closely later.
edit:
found it. gvwr 8450lbs. rear axle apparently a dana 60 3.73

Mitch
Old 01-23-2024, 07:20 PM   #5

finally got some time to mess with the smb this afternoon.

i pulled the steps off the sides and removed the gray water tank as it leaks and i wont be using it.
if anyone wants this stuff its yours to pick up.

I also gave it an oil change. 4,000 miles ago a shop put only 5 qts of 5w20 in it. which is scary.
I put 10w30 rotella t5 in it.

I bought a cheap obdi scanner and got the codes off of it.
It still has codes 334 and 172 for egr overvoltage and lean bank 1 respectively.

the egr and o2 sensor were just replaced by the previous owner, likely to try and smog it before selling it i guess, and the codes remain.

a question:
are these loose hoses in the engine bay for rear ac? (see pics)
i have attached a picture of the ends and a black canister (rear ac compressor?) they connect to on the drivers side frame rail.

I would like to remove them but when I pulled one of the rubber boots off the end it made a sucking sound, so im afraid of losing all my freon when I pull them out.

Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5063.jpg   IMG_5062.jpg   IMG_5071.jpg   IMG_5073.jpg   IMG_5066.jpg  

Old 01-23-2024, 08:54 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwood View Post
...the egr and o2 sensor were just replaced by the previous owner, likely to try and smog it before selling it i guess, and the codes remain.
More than what you anticipated???
Old 01-24-2024, 01:09 PM   #7
rnj

Those hoses/metal lines look similar but are different than mine. I have what I think are check valves so the Starcool AC can be used on 12V or 120V AC. That black canister looks similar to the one on my van located just in front of my gas tank and is the 120V AC compressor. Mine has an added Lo, Med, High fan switch on the dash (May be located elsewhere) that is used for both 12V & 120V AC. My Thermostat has a sticker on it with directions on how to use it on 120V AC.
Hankook Dynapro ATs 225/75-16 LRE
New to me 10/2008 - 2nd owner
rnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 01:33 PM   #8

thats really helpful, thank you.

I'm still trying to figure out if the starcool tank/compressor is connected to my vans ac. the disconnected lines appear to be because something critical was deleted.

I dont have a sticker or any info related to starcool that i have found.

overall I dont need AC much and I dont really want to spend time diagnosing and fixing the starcool but it would also be nice to keep the ac charge the previous owner paid for.

I also could use the storage space the starcool is currently taking up. also the 120v microwave..

Mitch
Old 01-25-2024, 09:56 PM   #9

got one code of two sorted today

code 334 is for egr position sensor(evp) over voltage in closed position - greater than .67v
I read a thread on ford truck forums that many aftermarket evp sensors have a plunger that is too long, which causes an open reading even when the egr is closed

I probed my sensor and it was .85v key on engine off. I also checked resistance across the pins and it seems to be a good sensor. so I shaved 2mm off the plunger with a dremel and got a reading of .35v closed. code went away

still have code 172 - which is lean mixture.
I pulled a plug from each bank and they are both lean, pretty much identical. they are ancient autolites, not even sure theyre gapped right.

many possibilities as to what this is, could be a bad egr valve which i should have checked when i did the evp ��, could be a vacuum leak somewhere etc.
previous owner had a shop replace a bunch of parts and it didnt solve the problem, unsure what happened there. I need to compression test it and get it smoke tested.
I'm also gonna give it some new plugs, wires, cap and rotor and replace the o2 sensor with the oe bosch for <8500 gvwr

more soon
Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5085.jpg   IMG_5086.jpg   IMG_5084.jpg   IMG_5087.jpg   72791486322__DD99FB01-5F33-4C40-BBBC-D22B16F68AD7.jpg  

IMG_5090.jpg  
Old 02-22-2024, 02:44 PM   #10

Haven't had much time to mess with this thing due to selling my other van and work etc.

I did end up finding time to do the plugs/wires/cap and rotor and replacing the air filter. I also checked base timing and its right around 10*btdc

noticed the alternator cable was in pretty rough shape lol
I went ahead and made a new one.
I think it may have become more damaged when I removed the alternator to mess with the EVP sensor as the van was charging erratically and had a fluctuating idle after that work was done.
Seems to be less electrically erratic now and the lean code 172 is back.

It has good fuel pressure and the EGR seems to work properly although I need to do more testing to make sure it isn't sticking open.

I was worried the cats were clogged but there isn't any backpressure in the exhaust so I can rule that out.

The AIR (smog pump) system seems to be working properly as well, it does seem to be switching from the heads to blowing into the exhaust after the engine warms up.

The van seems to idle well, it sounds good but when you put your foot into it it pings pretty good and doesn't have hardly any power.

I need to get it smoke tested.

I will have more time to get into it going forward
Should be ordering 4x4 stuff soon as well
Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
image1.jpeg   image0.jpeg   image4.jpeg   image3.jpeg