Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #51

Re: Re-finishing the PH Top (Raptor Liner)

JoeH is that a screw poking up through the top from the inside? I found that and had a leak which lead to a leak for me. I drilled out the hole a little and ground done the screw. Then I filled that with butyl before spraying the raptor liner. No leaks all winter after that repair. On a side note the screw seems to be from the inside wall board that is screwed to the penthouse top.

canyonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonrover
JoeH is that a screw poking up through the top from the inside? I found that and had a leak which lead to a leak for me. I drilled out the hole a little and ground done the screw. Then I filled that with butyl before spraying the raptor liner. No leaks all winter after that repair. On a side note the screw seems to be from the inside wall board that is screwed to the penthouse top.
It must be a similar screw and it definitely is from the inside. The front of the penthouse top is a bit bowed in so maybe that might have also helped it pop out. Interestingly, I haven't noticed an leak but I bet the fiberglass and plywood sandwhich that composes the top can absorb quite a bit of water. I don't have any experience with butyl but if it will work as filler in a small depression like this and still stick then so be it
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #53

My top bows too when in the fully closed position (as I have seen a photo posted by Jage of his top it does too so I think this might be a common issue) and I feel that is what precipitated the screw working its way through the top. And again, so far the butyl in the hole under the raptor liner is holding out the water.
canyonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #54

Bought the tint-able Raptor kit that comes with the gun.

Getting ready to do this myself but have some concerns.

My Aluminess roof rack is off right now for repair, so I figure this is the best time if any to do it.

Questions:
1) how much weight will this liner add?
2) how much thickness will this liner add?
3) is one coat enough (white top and will add white tinted Raptor lining)?

I'm concerned that once I apply the Raptor liner to my penthouse top, which is already a beast to manual pop with the roof rack, that it'll be even tougher to raise.

Finally, with the added thickness, I'm worried my roof rack legs won't go down low enough to mount to the penthouse. Was thinking of having Aluminess send me roof rack leg templates so I can leave those mounting areas un-lined.

Thanks in advance.

I'm in So Cal - Raptor lining party (cold beers and pizza provided).
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #55

OCSMB -

I have no answers for you, but please post up any tricks or advise you learn from doing yours. Mine is on my summer todo list.

Also, post up when you will be doing it. I have no problems lending a hand if I'm in the neighborhood (long shot, but you never know).

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #56
Site Team

Garage

Have you fully read Saline's post? Maybe PM him.
As far as your roof rack, SMB said they just slightly bend the brackets but I'd double check with Aluminess. [edit] looks like he applied 3 coats.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #57

Re-finishing the PH Top (Raptor Liner)

A good guess on the weight of the liner will be something less than the material in the bottles. It goes on wet and off gasses/reacts to form a solid so whatever liquid is there goes away. If you use the weight of the kit you should be close. Hope to do mine this spring.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
A good guess on the weight of the liner will be something less than the material in the bottles. It goes on wet and off gasses/reacts to form a solid so whatever liquid is there goes away. If you use the weight of the kit you should be close. Hope to do mine this spring.
Nice theory.

I was thinking it couldn't weigh more than the liquid itself.

Goes back to my question of how many coats will do and thus how many bottles will be put on top.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #59

I know that Line-X is very heavy (it goes on thick). After I had mine done I had to adjust the springs with some additional spacer blocks and it is still an effort (I have to use my legs). I can no longer lift it when my 60# kayak is on the roof like I used to be able to do.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #60

Re-finishing the PH Top (Raptor Liner)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Have you fully read Saline's post? Maybe PM him.
As far as your roof rack, SMB said they just slightly bend the brackets but I'd double check with Aluminess. [edit] looks like he applied 3 coats.
Thanks Dave.

I've been using your van for reference quite a bit when talking with Aluminess.

They said they can tweak the legs a little to accommodate 1/8" extra thickness.

Hope I can make that happen when laying down the liner.