Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2023, 12:20 PM   #1

Redheads are a problem

A couple of years ago I purchased a redhead steering box, and after installing it I immediately discovered it refused to return to center. A call to their shop advised me that apparently it wasn’t adjusted correctly at assembly and to loosen the adjustment, despite several written warnings stating that any adjustment voids the warranty. After several calls back-and-forth and additional adjustments, they agreed to send me a replacement. That replacement didn’t get installed right away, but I finally decided to install it after getting tired of having to make adjustments several times to the original box. I proceeded to install a new power steering pump, new hoses, and the new box. After installing the parts, and following the enclosed bleeding procedures repeatedly, I discovered that there is zero assist with the box. With the drag link connected and the engine idling it’s impossible to turn the wheels. Another phone call to them resulted in there saying that it’s got to be the power steering pump, so I borrowed a Power steering pressure test kit from O’Reilly auto parts, and discovered that the pump puts out 400 psi at idle and it raises to 1100 or so psi when you close the service valve. I then relayed this information to redhead at which point they said there has to be a problem with the box, but since it’s out of warranty, (despite having never been taken out of the original shipping box since I received it ) we can sell you another one for an additional $500 or you can send it in for a repair, you pay shipping both ways and can expect a turnaround of 1 to 2 weeks. Sadly, I had intended to depart for a trip to Alaska this weekend, but obviously that’s not happening and I’ll have to postpone my trip until the fall. it amazes me that I have received two defective boxes in a row, and was told on the original one that they had had some quality control problems in the past, but they were no longer an issue. Well, apparently they still have major quality control problems. At this point, my review of redhead gives them zero stars.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 12:55 PM   #2

Garage
That $ucks - Not only the inconvenience it poses with your travel itinerary, but your personal time & effort associated with replacement(s).
Really surprised they didn't offer any compensation...Not accepting any ownership of the issue (regardless of warranty) is how you kill a business. A decent Steering box should last years.
Arctic, I recall a Thread active a couple years ago discussing Steering boxes - You may consider copying your experience above and posting on that Thread as well
Old 08-03-2023, 01:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Arctic, I recall a Thread active a couple years ago discussing Steering boxes - You may consider copying your experience above and posting on that Thread as well
Here’s that thread

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...pew-27320.html
Advanced 4wd
Old 08-03-2023, 01:53 PM   #4

In a conversation w John at QuadVan last year I recall he mentioned something about the steering box out of a 2021 or ?? would work. I was not focused on it enough to take notes but it did register.......
Old 08-03-2023, 02:24 PM   #5

There seem to be plenty of folks having issues with redhead boxes. This is a small sample

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...oblems-333182/

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads...g-box.1808969/

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads...stiff.2476143/

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads...-shot.1265833/

https://www.powerstroke.org/threads/...twice.1399446/

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/redhe...-so-far.41996/
Advanced 4wd
Old 08-04-2023, 06:00 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Two bits that might be of interest here, no direct or personal experience with either:

For Ford: https://bluetopsteeringgears-com.3dcartstores.com/

And this interesting idea:

Again no direct affiliation or experience but like most E-Series owners steering boxes are always of high interest.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 06:26 AM   #7

Man - so bummed for you about this equipment issue and failure of RED to accommodate
you in some decent way. Also for having to change Alaska plans. Crossing my fingers for you on a positive resolution and being able to hit the road soon !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 07:33 AM   #8

Garage
Out of sheer curiosity I sent a message to Blue Top inquiring if they have plans (or would consider) offering a Steering Box for the E-350’s…and if that wasn’t viable, would they consider a ‘special order’ for one. This was their reply:

“We have not done those as exchange yet as we are really working hard to keep up with the others we already stock. We are having hard time finding help so the only thing we can do is rebuild yours if you would be able to send it in. It would be a 1 day turnaround and price would be $310 plus shipping”

EDIT: they sent a second response I though should be included (since initially I also inquired as to what made their product better than others?):

“We can't make them any heavier duty per say but the process we are doing with sizing the ball bearings for the worm and piston assembly makes them so nice and tight as well as complete different torque specs for the worm preloads will make them a nice and tight gearbox. We do use all OE type seals though.”

So they are an option.
Old 08-04-2023, 10:39 AM   #9

Garage
I have a redhead. Hopefully mine holds and I don’t recall any issues when I did mine a year ago.
Old 08-04-2023, 02:52 PM   #10

No experience with Blue Top but following as the day is coming. I did find this bit of info on the diesel forums.
Quote:
Blue-Top steering gears are located in ND and have been around since 1986. But, fairly recently a former Redhead employee bought and reorganized the company, pushing sales nation-wide.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote