Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2017, 04:09 PM   #31

Thanks for the continued support and advice everyone - it's such a learning experience.

Roccon99, sorry we are sitting somewhat in the same boat - I hear your pain.

Our Mothership is peacefully resting in the driveway with a big snug tarp wrapped all around the top. We will wait until the weather is dry again for a predictable and prolonged time, and then we'll "pop our top".
So I have a little more time to do my research to be prepared.

Thanks again, and I'll make sure to get pictures once we tackle our task.

PlayOutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #32

So, I had a long conversation with the dealer I purchased the van from. They have essentially accepted full responsibility for the failing roof and have offered to fix it. I drove the sucker 8 hours back to Sacramento this morning and dropped it off. Prior to that, I typed up a "contract" and actually used a lot of the resources from this forum (thanks everyone!). In summary, here's what they are doing:
-Evaluating the integrity of the fiberglass/wood roof, replacing any necessary wood and re-glassing
-Installing new bubble insulation
-Replacing all of the hardware with stainless, new rubber insert washers, butyl, etc (gave them pics/write up from boywonder). They're going to leave the front four bolts long for me too so I can use for aluminum channel to mount solar.
-Using boywonder's method of cleats to hold the canvas to the top of the roof
-Replacing any damaged veneer plywood and all screws that attach it to the fiberglass
-Scrubbing the canvas to clean it up (we'll see how well that goes)
-Cleaning the drapes (one was stained). They've offered to have their upholstery guy fab a new one if they can't get the stains out.

I know it's a little scary having them do this work as opposed to SMB, but beggars can't be choosers and this was really my only cost effective option. The good news though - The lead tech walked through all the repairs with me and pointed out things he'd need to do before I could even bring them up (he's been working on RV's for 35 years and has owned a few pop tops himself). He actually had a 40 foot diesel pusher parked right next door that had the entire roof ripped off that they were re-doing. He seems competent and I trust they'll do a good job (fingers crossed). They have a week to complete the work and they are supposed to send me pics as they progress; I'll be sure to share as I receive. Everyone knock on wood for me!
Roccon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:36 PM   #33

I bought a 29' travel trailer from this dealer about 10 years ago. There were a few minor issues and they took care of them all. Sounds like the same people are in place taking care of business.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I bought a 29' travel trailer from this dealer about 10 years ago. There were a few minor issues and they took care of them all. Sounds like the same people are in place taking care of business.
That's good to hear...hopefully they can come through
Old 02-05-2017, 08:25 AM   #35
Site Team

Wow, that's outstanding news.

Herb
Old 02-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Also, just to let you know. SMB in Fresno will take it apart and replace canvas for about $2500, and sell you just the canvas for about $900 - but you sometimes have to talk them into it.

No kidding.....I was up at Fresno SMB buying some hardware from Jonathan and asked about the canvas since I knew a few folks here successfully purchased just the canvas.

"$2800 installed...we don't sell just the canvas".........
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:36 PM   #37

The roof is off and surgery has begun. Only received one picture so far, but spoke with the head tech for a few minutes. He said the two longer pieces of wood on either side came up like wafers...completely ruined. He's replacing both longer pieces on the sides with new wood, along with a couple other pieces which were getting bad.

He was not impressed with the SMB design (a common occurrence here it seems) and was not surprised water had collected like it did. He's sanding, adding resin, laying the treated wood encased in glass, finish glassing/hot coat. He's certain this thing will be more solid and watertight than the original design, and I honestly believe him.

Been an tough couple of weeks having to face the reality of a junk roof on my new (to me) SMB, but this is definitely making me feel a lot better. If these guys can really deliver, I'll be all over the internet singing their praises .

Old 02-07-2017, 06:10 AM   #38

I think it's pretty amazing that they are fixing this for you on a used van. Pretty unusual to stand behind it like that. I guess if they are an RV dealer, though, they really don't want a bad reputation getting out there.

As long as they are doing Fiberglas work, you might consider paying a bit extra and asking them to add a Fantastic Fan to the roof. Not officially supported by SMB, but if the repair guy knows what he's doing and is into it this far I'm sure he could hook you up with a good result.

You might also consider upgrading the lift arms by sleeving them and adding new hardware, etc., since the top is off. Even if you have to kick in some money it's a lot easier to do it now and be good for a long time. (Search the archives for details.)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:14 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I think it's pretty amazing that they are fixing this for you on a used van. Pretty unusual to stand behind it like that. I guess if they are an RV dealer, though, they really don't want a bad reputation getting out there.

As long as they are doing Fiberglas work, you might consider paying a bit extra and asking them to add a Fantastic Fan to the roof. Not officially supported by SMB, but if the repair guy knows what he's doing and is into it this far I'm sure he could hook you up with a good result.

You might also consider upgrading the lift arms by sleeving them and adding new hardware, etc., since the top is off. Even if you have to kick in some money it's a lot easier to do it now and be good for a long time. (Search the archives for details.)
Agreed on ALL of this!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #40

Do you have a specific thread I can reference for the hardware upgrades? I found some, but nothing comprehensive. I'd like to be able to give them a full list of stuff (and yes, I agree, I'd rather pay up now and have a good set up).

Also, they have removed the top, but the lifting mechanism is still attached to the van. They will be reattaching the canvas with cleats (and a handful of guys holding it up at once - I told them it would be a PIA, but that's the way they decided to go). Not sure how easy it will be for them to replace the hardware if the lifters are still under some force (even in the up position) and attached to the van. But, they could relieve the spring tension and then make the change...

Any detail would be helpful.

As for the fan, I'll ask them, but they have a limited amount of time (I fly back to Sacramento on Friday and then am driving home), so if they can't source the fan and install in the same time window, then it will have to be skipped.