Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #81

Re: SMB's solution for awning cracks (and Eli's custom brackets)

Sorry fot the delay. I was on a month long vacation with the fam and the SMB. I am checking with my fabricator about the second batch. It will most likley be the end of August, or early September, as funds are low after so long on the road. I will let you all know asap.

Eli

Old 08-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #82

PS.

Bluedog,
I like you icon.....
Old 08-04-2009, 08:12 AM   #83
Site Team

I'm very interrested in a set, and almost ready to give a firm commitment.

For those of you that have made the switch to Eli's brackets, what did you do with the empty holes left behind from the previous mounts? I want the safety and security of the new brackets, but I don't want a bunch of ugly holes left behind when I remove the old brackets. Pics would be appreciated.

Eli, if it would help speed up the process, I can pre-pay provided you have a reasonably firm timeline for producing another batch of brackets. Oh, and we expect some pics of your roadtrip. Don't think you're getting by without posting some.

Herb
Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #84

I will pre pay also
bill wilson
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #85

Quote:
For those of you that have made the switch to Eli's brackets, what did you do with the empty holes left behind from the previous mounts? I want the safety and security of the new brackets, but I don't want a bunch of ugly holes left behind when I remove the old brackets. Pics would be appreciated.
Ugly plugs .....

Aluminum plate behind the new rear bracket. Plate is firmly mounted with threaded backing plate and flush mount bolts.

I wrote a description of this on another post somewhere buried in the forum. A search will probably find it.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #86
Site Team

Phil,

No wonder it sounded familiar. If I go with Eli's brackets, I'll find similar plugs and silicone them in as well to hide the holes and prevent water intrusion. It's sad that I'm thinking about upgrading the brackets on an awning I still haven't used, but I can't risk the awning causing damage to the awning and/or van, or worse yet causing harm to my wife or child. For others, here's the link to the posting that I believe Phil is talking about.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3206&start=15

For others who have changed to Eli's brackets, did you place the bracket directly against the van body, or add an isolator (e.g. cut up inner tube)? I read where Mike used an adhesive-backed butyl rubber, which sounds like a great idea if it holds up well.

Herb
Old 08-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #87

Any word on the new brackets??

bw
Old 08-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #88

Sorry for the delay guys. I have been at the fire house for the last 10 days, and I will not be going home for another 5. To many fires burning here in CA..... As soon as I get word, I will post.

Eli
Old 08-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecksTank
Sorry for the delay guys. I have been at the fire house for the last 10 days, and I will not be going home for another 5. To many fires burning here in CA..... As soon as I get word, I will post.

Eli

be safe Brother
Old 08-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #90

For all those that have expressed intrest, I place an order for 10 more pairs of brakets. I will have more info next week on when they will be done. Thanks for watting.

Eli