Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #1

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Stop the refrig vibration, Just fix it! FIX it!

I leave the refrig on most of the time and walking by the Sprinter and hearing the buzzzzzz of a vibration in the hood caused by the refrig is getting old.

I pulled the refrig this afternoon in about 10 minutes with jage's project notes, http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...ing+the+fridge and basically I have the same problem he showed,
here,

with one exception. My refrig is resting against the bottom bolt and sitting on part of the L-bracket.

I cannot move the L-bracket forward as that wall is as far forward as it can go physically.

I was thinking maybe to add rubber feet to the refrige's metal feet just to raise it slightly above the bracket. Anything wrong with that?

Also I was thinking about peeling off the 1/16 thick bubble wrap on the inside of the cabinet and using styrofoam. I know styrofoam will squeek when rubbing. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Keith

Old 06-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #2

Re: Stop the refrig vibration, Just fix it! FIX it!

Is it actually the bracket or the bolt it is hitting? Could you switch out the bottom for something countersunk like this:

Or just pull the single large L and put smaller Ls with screws at each end? If the wall is as far forward as it can go, then unlike mine there is more holding it than the giant L.

Don't forget to tighten your counter screws while you're in there!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #3

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.

There 4 other L-brackets, 2 on each side holding the cabinet in place. The metal slides on the bottom of the refridge rests on those L-brackets and butts against the other. It did not at first. The unit must have shifted just a tiny bit to make contact with the larger bracket.

I think I can put 4 of those furniture sliders on which will raise the refrige's metal bases just above the L-brackets. I will try that tomorrow.

Observation: Wow! How long are those 4 screws SMB uses to hold it in? Must be 2-1/2 inches!

Regards,

Keith
Old 06-30-2009, 08:21 AM   #4

I was having the same problem, and moved the slides on the bottom of the fridge rather then mess with the brackets. Just unscrewed 'em and moved them over till they cleared the L-brackets and fastened them back to the fridge bottom. Worked great.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
I was having the same problem, and moved the slides on the bottom of the fridge rather then mess with the brackets. Just unscrewed 'em and moved them over till they cleared the L-brackets and fastened them back to the fridge bottom. Worked great.
Nothing like looking at the problem from a different perspective. Great idea Scatter. I think I will try that fix as my vibrating fridge drives me absolutely NUTS! .... and in turn, I drive my family nuts, but they can't fix me. I'm terminally broken.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi
Quote:
... but they can't fix me. I'm terminally broken.

Phil
Careful there Phil, when something's not fixable, it's probably replaceable. If your family suddenly wants you to increase your life insurance policy amount, be very suspicious.

Yeah, I think Scatter has the simple solution on this one. Simple solutions are usually the best.

Herb
Old 06-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #7

If you can't get the L-brackets out of the way, how about replacing the 2- brackets with one long piece (20 inches long +-) of light-gage metal angle? Screw and epoxy the long angle directly to the plywood floor, then have a series of small thru-bolts attaching the cabinet panel to the long angle.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #8

The bars the refrig stands on are not moveable. The bottom plastic vent snaps into the support bars, legs whatever so if you move them the vent will no longer attach.

I finished mine today and will put some pics up. The vibration is still there but you can't hear it now. You have to put your hand on the hood. The refrig is much quieter but I think it is because of the carpet slidders I put on the right hand side. They leveled it with the cabinet top which may of may not be level. In any event, should I pull it again, I will put some type of rubber or something under the support bar on the left. The problem, IMHO, is that the refrig vibrates by nature when the compressor is on. Since the supports run the full depth and rest directly on the floor there is no way the vibration can be isolated. By putting the supports on rubber however, the vibration can certainly be mitigaited.

I did do one change. The top grill is now velcroed on so I can pull it and clean up the dust. In my Sprinter when you opened the door the grill and all the dust behind it are eye level.

The only "problem" I had was putting it back in was the drain tube. I had to attach a wire to it so I could fish it thru after sliding the refrig in a bit.

Regards,

Keith
Old 07-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #9

I pulled it again. I can do it real fast now! The complete story is here, Can you make the refrigerator quiter, http://www.ourexcellentadventures.com/

To make a long story short, I put 1/8 inch thick rubber strips on the bottom of the rails. I unwrapped the excess 12v and 110v cable from around the compressor to leave it totally free.

I think it is better now. None of these problems came from Sportsmobile's installation AFAIK and I only "fixed" things cause "playing with my car"* is fun.

Regards,

Keith
*from Brendon, my 8 year old neighbor, who asks me, "Mr Keith, are playing with your car again"?