Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #11

Thanks for the reply Deminimis.

Mike, thanks for the great description. I think I understand now. Since I have a SMB 4x4, there are 4 U-Joints. One on each end of the rear drive shaft and one on each end of the front drive shaft. Is that correct? I just crawled back under and felt around everywhere but couldn't find anymore zerk fittings. I've only been able to find 5 total (the four in the pictures and the one on the rear drive shaft slip yoke).

Has anyone with a 2007 Ford SMB 4x4 been able to locate more than this? Is it possible/probable that I've found them all?

Old 11-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #12

No problem.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #13

U-joints are shaped like +, if you have any zerk fittings on them, they will be in where the two side meet. Check all four inner corners.

For reference, my U-joints do not have zerk fittings. Some people believe drilling for the zerk fitting weakens the u-joint (most racers don't use greasable fittings). U-joints without zerks seem to last a long time. If you don't have zerks, don't worry about it; just check them for looseness when you crawl under the van. There should be no play in the fitting itself. There is play in the transmission, transfer case and axle gears, but not in the u-joint. If you find play in a u-joint get the joint replaced.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #14

Here's a couple of fuzzy photos of what we're talking about.

The slip joint zerk

The U-Joint zerk

The one on the U-joint (if you have 'em) can be hard to see due to grease and dirt build up and the fact that even if you do have 'em they might be rotated on top and out of sight. Ya gotta get your fingers dirty and feel around. When you go to lube any zerk, but sure you use the same type of grease as was used before and to clean off the zerk so you don't force any dirt into the joint.
My SMB is an '07 and it came with zerks on the rear shaft.
Good luck and have fun....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #15

The mysterious fifth lube joint

I found the rear drive shaft slip joint to need a very heavy dose of grease so, it would be advisable for those who have not lubed this point to check it out. 07 E-350 4 WD.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:50 PM   #16

Scatter, thank you so much for taking the time to crawl under your van and take the pictures. I found the slip joint zerk after PeasBugs pointed me in the right direction. Just out of curiousity, how do you know when you have added enough grease here?

I couldn't find a zerk fitting on either of the rear drive shaft U-Joints. I searched for way too long and I have the cuts on my fingers to prove it. Did both of your rear drive shaft u-joints have a zerk fitting or just the one closer to the center of the van? Is it possible that mine could be different?

My front drive shaft does not have zerk fittings on the slip joint or the u-joints. At least I'm hoping that is the case since I couldn't find them. I will take some additional pictures soon, especially in case it ever helps someone else out who is in my position.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #17

My rear drive shaft has zerks on both ends and came that way from Ford. I'm not sure how much grease the slip joint needs. I know you can put a LOT of it in there and I don't know where it will come out. I've been told by folks, that know what they're talking about, that the slip joint zerk should only get one or two squirts of grease when you lube the rest of the rig. That's what I've done on many rigs and I've never had a slip joint problem/failure. That's my experiance. If you don't have zerks on your rear U-joints, I'd do as deminimis suggested and replace 'em with Spicer's. They're the best ones going and U-jounts are not something you want to fail. If you check 'em (by yanking on the drive shaft) everytime you crawl under the rig you'll catch 'em before failure and that's a good thing. Having one explode while driving is not something anyone wants to experiance. The front shaft could use em too, but most folks don't run in four wheel drive much so they last a lot longer. But.... as deminimis says, they're pretty cheap.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 11-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
My rear drive shaft has zerks on both ends and came that way from Ford.
It was my understanding that the driveshafts were part of the 4wd conversion, and not Ford parts. Maybe the SMB conversion is different?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #19

You may be right Mike, but I was told at SMB west that they use the stock rear Ford driveshaft and have it shortened (and balanced) to fit. Either way, I have lubeable U-joints on the rear shaft, but not on the front. I guess I should have said that they came from SMB that way.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 02-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #20

Re: The Mysterious Fifth Lube Point

I just got the high quality racing grease from Amsoil....is that ok, or do I need to get another kind? The word "Dohicky" came from a nc farm that also means...jigcamahog....Gene