Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2023, 11:53 AM   #1

Webasto Heater Help

Hey everyone, working on installing my Webasto Petrol Heater in our van, and it seems that our floor mount didn't come with a gasket of any sort. Any ideas on what to use as a gasket, for in-between the floor and the mounting plate?

Just want to make sure I get a nice seal on it to avoid any potential issues.

Thank you in advance!

CGgonzo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:12 PM   #2

For my 2 cents - I'd get a sheet of gasket material (cork or rubber) that you can cut-to-fit - and possibly use some clear silicone or mounting adhesive - and cut a width at least a 1/2 inch wider than needed on all sides - and be sure to have a co2 monitor installed within the area of the heater area for safety issues. Maybe even SikaFlex with the gasket material for hopefully a really good seal. Won't be easy to clean up or tear out the heater for repairs using SikaFlex.
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:46 PM   #3

I used high temp silicone the red stuff, I didn't see any need to use the 1 inch thick foam webasto gasket which is about an inch thick. no issues at all with the silicone. . Be careful not to have the exhaust outloet pipe too close to the fuel tank.
Lcavalletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:21 PM   #4

Appreciate the feedback.

As for the exhaust line, its on the outside of the frame rail and will be pointing towards the rear driver tire (that's the plan anyways)
Old 01-06-2023, 04:31 PM   #5

Question already answered. But would be curious to read along your install, which model you bought, challenges, …
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-350 View Post
Question already answered. But would be curious to read along your install, which model you bought, challenges, …
Absolutely! I have a build thread here:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-rb-31091.html

I will write up a little thread on the install once I finish it and would be happy to answer all your questions
Old 01-07-2023, 07:02 AM   #7

I use this stuff since I have a box full of it left over from our house remodel. Same stuff I use for sealing windows to the van. It works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Butyl-Sealant...87396663&psc=1

Cut out your wood floor to get to the metal. Over-size the wood floor cut. Coat the cut metal edge with POR15 or similar. Place the butyl around the cut opening. There is no need for high temperature related sealants, that plate does not get hot.

For any heater install, I strongly suggest confirmation that location will not interfere with the frame or fuel tank. Also, one needs to give consideration to accessing the clamps for the combustion intake, exhaust and fuel line for installation and later removal for service or repair. If the van metal floor in the selected area has peaks and valleys, the butyl tape can be stacked to get a good seal.

My recommended location for the heater is at a diagonal at the base of the driver B pillar. There is a metal floor flat spot there, easy access from below for the combustion air and fuel related lines, as well as, good orientation for the cabin air intake and heat outflow ducts.

The area you selected looks to be okay and will be under the seat. Just make sure the cabin air intake end of the heater is clear of bags, etc when in use. If the intake is blocked, the heater will fault for excessive temperature.

We spoke about the thermostat/ control location - somewhere about 30 to 36 inches off the floor, and away from any over hang (such as a bed platform or shelf) that will trap warm air from rising, and enough away from the heated air exiting the heater.

Heaters are a big game changing mod! Enjoy!!
Old 01-07-2023, 12:09 PM   #8

Perfect! I have some Butyl tape sitting in the garage that I can use then.

As for the positioning of the everything, I looked around the B Panel per your recommendation and it just didn't seem like it was going to fit well for how we are building it out. Under the secondary row seemed like the next best spot and under the van body where the intake/exhaust is, it'll be very accessible and easy to service.

Now mounting the Thermostat will be another project to try and find the best spot for. I have a lot of different elevation changes in the van if that makes sense
Old 01-12-2023, 12:15 PM   #9

I’ve got the same heater, mounted in the same
Spot, with the same mounting plate.

I used a hole saw, and then sealed the plate
To the van floor using 3m urathane
Seam sealer (especially under the van around the circular hole) and butyl tape under the plate where it interfaces with the floor inside the van

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A9...b_b_asin_title

Mine came with a rubber gasket to mate
Between the heater and the plate like
You have, and it would be easy to
Make one out of gasket material or buy one

https://www.amazon.com/Gasket-132258...s%2C265&sr=8-2

The gas fired heater has been flawless
For me!!
sierraoneill is offline   Reply With Quote