Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 06:15 AM   #1641

Garage
Re: What did you do to your SMB today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Mike, you have to be the king of roadside repairs.
he also writes quite well. had me hanging on every word, lol.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:24 AM   #1642

Garage
i installed a winch.

Installed a Superwinch Talon 12.5 SR
I wanted to use synthetic rope and I really like that they mount the brake outside of the drum so that no braking heat is transmitted to the rope. The fit was pretty tight in the Aluminess bumper. I relocated the solenoid toward the drivers side since the height of the winch w the solenoid on top was about 1" too tall for the void. I also mounted a Factor 55 ProLink Loaded Shackle Mount to the 3/8" Amsteel Blue Synthetic Winch Rope to avoid using the hook.

Once the winch was in I mounted the Hi-Lift Jack to the front bumper. I used Hi-Lifts 4x Rac brackets with a custom add-on bracket to allow the now obligitory Yakima SKS Hitch Lock to keep the honest people honest. I mounted the front license plate, California- you gotta have one, to the jack and used nylon spacers to make it happen. Something I saw many of our fellow SMB owners do while at Overland Expo a few weeks ago.

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:53 AM   #1643
Site Team

Re: i installed a winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat
Installed a Superwinch Talon 12.5 SR
I wanted to use synthetic rope and I really like that they mount the brake outside of the drum so that no braking heat is transmitted to the rope....
Same reason I bought a Superwinch for my Bronco. Just remember that powering out the winchline, as opposed to free-spooling it out, will build up a lot of heat in the drum.

Herb
Old 06-02-2015, 08:09 AM   #1644
Site Team

Garage

A good friend gave me a newer Norcold fridge out of a 09 SMB so I swapped them to see how the newer unit compares. It draws 2.5 amps compared to the 3.3 of the original and is only 12volt not 12/120v. The unit seems to have better insulation all the way around compared to the older one but is 2 1/2 inchs shorter then the old one. the cool thing is the screws all lined up and it just fit perfect.

The only thing that I like but dont like is the door. It has a nicer latch but is a lot thicker and sticks out. the other thing is the controls are outside and I kinda like the controls inside so they dont get messed with.

Will see if the slightly smaller size has me in need of the old one.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #1645

I added a can caddy from a plastic cutting board I had in the house to prevent cans from rolling around in my National Luna Fridge. First Mod in my new rig!
Old 06-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #1646

I crawled back under my van again.

Only after I paid $212 for 2 new u-joints and 2 new weights welded onto my driveshaft.

Installing a driveshaft is much easier than removing one that has been in place for years and many 10's of thousands of miles. And doing it in 70 degree comfort is much nicer than 85 degree heat.

With a balanced driveshaft and working u-joints the van is much nicer to drive. Vibrations are noticeably reduced, the noise that I thought was a failing muffler is gone. How long had I put up with that and thought it was normal?

Back to enjoying my SMB!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #1647

Garage

I got tired of my Edge CTS losing suction and falling down. So after so thinking on it, I came up with this bracket that attaches to the grab handle. It is working great so far. I also updated the CTS and put on custom pictures.

The Bracket made free hand.

Side view

Front. I did not have custom view yet.

TexGX
Attached Thumbnails
EdgeBracket.jpg   EdgeS.jpg   EdgeF.jpg  
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #1648

Built a manual water filler connection so that we can add water to the main tank from a jug. This allows us to have more flexibility in our sources of water

Side note - When I installed the water system last year I also put in a new water hose connection on the side of the van. The old one was trashed. The new one had a pressure regulator in it that I removed in anticipation of this mod.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #1649

Good idea Larrie!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #1650

Upgraded the recovery gear. New synthetic line, Factor 55 hawse fairlead with screw pin shackle...

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote