Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2016, 05:27 PM   #1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
Tried to get the side and rear door windows tinted today, but the shop said they're already booked for at least the next week. Guess their Yelp reviews are correct.
Actually it's probably just because it's Spring. This always seems strange to me but the window tint shops around here are always really busy in Spring and Summer. I've never thought of it as a seasonal thing since the sun generally shines most days year round. I tint my cars usually the day I get them. If not that day then the next day, no matter what time of year.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #1822

Quote:
Tried to get the side and rear door windows tinted today, but the shop said they're already booked for at least the next week. Guess their Yelp reviews are correct.
Where'd you go? My guy at the car wash is good and cheap too.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #1823

One thing we had our local window tint shop do was install the 3m "Scotchshield" on the driver and passenger windows with whatever tint is legal here in Oregon. Then had the dark lemo tint on the slider and rear barn doors. The difference was $50 bucks over what the regular tint would have been. The shop owner had good things to say about the film. I brought it up as a "Do you have..." so he was not pushing it.

Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #1824

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Actually it's probably just because it's Spring. This always seems strange to me but the window tint shops around here are always really busy in Spring and Summer. I've never thought of it as a seasonal thing since the sun generally shines most days year round. I tint my cars usually the day I get them. If not that day then the next day, no matter what time of year.

You might be right - hadn't thought of that. This particular place is down near the airport and they do tinting, wraps, etc. They said they had a lot of 'projects' lined up. Maybe they're busy tinting and wrapping a fleet of airport shuttles or something. Or maybe they're just really busy; they have excellent online reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Where'd you go? My guy at the car wash is good and cheap too.
It was down near work with the idea of just dropping it off and having it done while I was at work. Where's your guy at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
One thing we had our local window tint shop do was install the 3m "Scotchshield" on the driver and passenger windows with whatever tint is legal here in Oregon. Then had the dark lemo tint on the slider and rear barn doors. The difference was $50 bucks over what the regular tint would have been. The shop owner had good things to say about the film. I brought it up as a "Do you have..." so he was not pushing it.

Thom
That stuff looks pretty cool. Unfortunately, we can't tint front door glass in this stupid State.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #1825
Site Team

Quote:
...That stuff looks pretty cool. Unfortunately, we can't tint front door glass in this stupid State.
Of all the years I lived in Cali, I only got popped once for having tinting on front door glass. Well worth it IMO.

Herb
Old 05-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #1826

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Of all the years I lived in Cali...
I grew up in SF Bay and moved to NV in 1982. I didn't have any issues before moving out of state and had a light tint on cab windows of my Toyota mini 4x4 truck.

YMMV,
Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:05 PM   #1827

Garage
When I was out near palm springs for a while I used to drive back to AZ in my Tacoma with my tinted windows and the one time I missed seeing the police officer in time to roll my windows down he caught me. Didn't want to pay the state so I removed the tint and they got rid of the fine.

With all of the sun in Cali you wouldn't think window tint would be such an issue.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:30 PM   #1828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
When I was out near palm springs for a while I used to drive back to AZ in my Tacoma with my tinted windows and the one time I missed seeing the police officer in time to roll my windows down he caught me. Didn't want to pay the state so I removed the tint and they got rid of the fine.

With all of the sun in Cali you wouldn't think window tint would be such an issue.
Yep, I've been busted twice for tint in CA. Not worth the hassle. I'll take some of that security film stuff in clear though!
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:36 AM   #1829

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Installed a new aluminum radiator, BP water pump, wrapped the engine harness, wrapped the up pipes (sure killed the turbo noise), installed a DP tuner with fuel pressure gauge, and new nations alternator with remote voltage controller. My backup lights were out and it took some troubleshooting to figure what was bad...ended up having to run a new circuit to the rear.

G'day daveb,

Did you install Performance Radiator? Happy with the product install & build quality?

My vehicle did not sail till 2nd May, arrives 16th May, Eagle Automotive, Auckland, New Zealand for next phase, Right Hand Drive, nz$38,000. Engine moved 1.25" to US Driver's side
to move pedals & steering column to right hand side, and give more foot room. Rebuild dash, aircon ducting, rebuild wiring harness, complete rebuild in engine bay. Complicated!
Then on to Sydney, Australia for 2800mile drive cross country to Perth, Western Australia.

Cheers Doug.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:50 AM   #1830

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
What is a DP tuner with fuel pressure gage? You mean you flashed the PCM with a custom tune written by DPtuner as well as installed a fuel pressure gage. They're not related right? edit to add: nevermind, I just saw your post in the DPtuner thread. So, your using it as a monitor.

I must say, after arguing with Sheriffdoug over the merits of the all aluminum radiator, it just might have lowered my ECTs ~10 degrees across the board. Hard to say since I also installed the Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler at the same time, also wrapped the up pipes and downpipes, as well as adding hood louvers but my rig is running noticeably cooler.
G'day JoeH,

How's that new all aluminium radiator from Performance Radiator, like used in race cars, Indy 500, NASCAR, etc, going? Radiator, Trans Cooler, Bonnet Vents, etc, these enhancements all help together, cooling your engine. When things get hot, the weakest link breaks under enormous pressure, but cooler engines, together with slowing down a little, will keep your engine going long.

Great hear your good results. Cheers.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote