Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #681
Site Team

Re: What did you do to your SMB today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
I've done a lot to my van since I bought it used 1 1/2 years ago.
Not technically a "today"....

Reminds me, two days ago I added UHA tape around the PH.

Okay, okay. Today I washed my van.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:49 PM   #682

I sent all my turbo replace & repair invoices and other documents to a lemon law lawyer to see if they would consider representing me.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #683

Went camping
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #684

Figured it was time to upgrade my water system. Added Culligan D-15 5umN charcoal pre-filter and a Flow-Max 1.0 umA pleated filter. I thought I would have fill water flow restriction issue with them, but I don't. Indeed I feel they flow to fast so I am going to add a flow restriction to the system and get my fill rate down to 2gpm. With my 18 gallon water system I still would be able to fill the van in under 9 minutes.

Rear of van with new filtration system installed on left drivers side.

Close up of double cartridges.

This system will take out bad taste/smell and crypo's. All I have to do now is add the correct amount of chlorine or iodine for bacteria and virus on each water fill up and I will meet the minimum EPA requirements for purified water. Really safe drinking water.

Feedback..... August 12, 2011........Got a chance to test my water system this week. The campground we are staying at has drinking water with a strong sulfur smell. Makes the water almost undrinkable to us who have not grown up on it. My filter system takes all traces of the sulfur smell and taste out of the water. Makes it very drinkable.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #685

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV

Hey, I finally have something to post on this thread because I swapped out 4 of my light fixtures to LED bulbs. The reading light over passenger seat, the two puck style halogen reading lights centered one each over the read windows, and one my 3 florescent fixtures. (that each contain two tubes.)

Replacing the reading lamp over passenger seat was a cynch since it was just unscrew the old, screw in the new. The halogen puck lights were very easy too, pull the two pronged halogen bulbs out, slide the LED circular panel bulbs in. The trickier one was the florescent. But, it was actually pretty easy too. The new LED strip for lights 12 inches and longer just double sided tape glues into the fixture where the old bulb was. I cut one in coming power lead from the van, that lead to the on/off switch to splice to one wire. I cut the lead coming out of the light switch and towards the ballast to splice into the second wire from panel of LEDs. They provide 'in line' splicing clamps that make it very easy.
I tested the lights that night. The one over passenger seat isn't a panel LED, it is a grouping of bulbs and it is okay but kind of dim. The two halogen replacing pucks are just about equal with what left. The florescent LED panel is GREAT. So this morning finished the florescent off by putting a second 12 inch LED strip where the second tube had been. It was even easier to splice cause I did not have to cut any wires, I just used their clamp to do an inline slice to the leads I had set up yesterday. (Luckily someone else's post here mentioned not wiring in series but giving each it's own lead to 12 volt so I avoided the series wiring which I would have tried.) I now feel like that light is brighter than it was as florescent. Eventually, I will probably do my other 2 florescent fixtures and, if i can figure out how to get the bulb out of my porch light, I will do that.

One kind of unusual thing. I ordered the LEDs from a site I read listed among a few others in either Trailer Life or Highways. It listed the url as http://www.jirahled.com They are in Ontario, California. I noted when you get to the site it flips sometimes to http://www.jclampstand.com. I read that in my head as J CLAMPSTAND. Well, when the package of LEDs arrived, each was packaged as XTREME LED in orange and yellow and black packaging. and, each light bulb package had a Psalm quoted. a little blurb was included that said The Lampstand Ministry is dedicated to sharing the light of Jesus Christ with those who don't know Him as the true light of the world. It goes on for another paragraph and then immediately begins installation instructions.

Didnt see that coming. Guess it was JC Lampstand. Not J Clampstand. Oh well, the lights work well and they shipped fast. I got a little univited preaching but, having been raised in the bible belt I am used to that!

finding the right bulbs was pretty easy, read the old number off the outgoing bulb and the site tells you what new bulb wlll replace it. (except the halogens, I think I kind of eyeballed those to pick the right kind.)
Old 05-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #686

Nice work Mike and thanks for the write up. There are actually a number of sites that I order from where I was surprised by the religious overtones (I can't think of a better word). Sierratradingpost.com is the most frequent for me.

I replaced the rusted bolts on my Thule kayak racks. Also installed the Door Talon. I was shocked at how much I love this item, especially the bungee was the biggest pain in the rear to use.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:27 PM   #687

So there we were camped on the Columbia River and no current to the solenoid. Spend an hour checking fuses and switching relays, thinking this van has only 4500 miles on it so a burnt out starter/solenoid is unlikely. Crawled under my van to find where the starter actually was and found a loose nut. That would have been embarrassing to have my van towed over a loose nut. I finger tightened it, cursing myself for bringing every tool but my socket set. Used a wrench and it arc'd to anything in close proximity. The following 3 days on 4wd roads, it never came loose. My recommendation is wrap your 15 mm socket wrench in a cloth before tightening.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #688

I performed my quarterly Torque maintenance last night , every thing nice and snug ! For all of you New Owners this should be part of your routine maintenance schedule of things to do and the SportsMobile recommendations can be found here on the Forum . I am always amazed at the things that need tightening , even after a relative short period of time . For those of you that are using South Bay Auto
Hubert has the Torque chart from SportsMobile .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #689
Site Team

Added the axe and shovel holder, just in case I get stuck in the mud or sand somewhere.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #690

Took pix of my gaucho extender recycled as my penthouse bed extender: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7299