Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #1241

Re: What did you do to your SMB today?

I finally got the courage to install a Beckson Deck Plate in my water tank. I bought the thing years ago thinking it would be a good idea to be able to reach inside my water tank and do a thorough cleaning, but the thought of cutting a 4-1/2" hole in a perfectly good tank kept it on the back burner.

I always use a potable water hose to fill the tank and run the water through a filter and I also flush and chlorinate the tank at least once a year. But lately I've been getting a little color in the water. I've worked a lot with water tanks over the years. Everything from a couple of gallons to thousands of gallons. It seems like sooner or later they all get a slimy film on the interior. I figured that's what was happening so I sez to me - get out the saber saw, you can always buy a new tank from SMB if it leaks.

Beckson says it won't leak so I went ahead. I got the 4" size as I can fit my hand through it and it would fit in the exposed section of my tank in the RB50 16 gallon design and I didn't need to remove the tank or the seat to cut the hole.

The whole job took about an hour. Piece of pie!! I didn't fill the tank until the next day to allow the silicone to dry.

The next morning I attached the filler hose, crossed my fingers, and opened the valve. When the tank filled I left the valve open to keep house pressure (60 psi in my case) on the setup and let it sit. End result, not a drop of water leaked!!!!

So, what did I find in the tank? Well, no slime, but there was a fair amount of fine dirt. Also a few unidentified chunks of ??? I'm sure the color I was getting in the water was from the dirt that would mix with the water while driving. Bottom line, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Now I can really clean the tank whenever I want.

Here's looking over the rear seat.

A view from the rear door.

If anyone decides to take the leap, a couple of comments.

Having a shop vac that can vacuum water really helps. Otherwise you'll spend a lot of time getting the last remaining gallon of water out of the tank.

I called Beckson as I was REALLY concerned about this thing leaking. The unit came with instructions, but the guy I talked to added some. First off, you'll need to buy the screws. Be sure and get stainless steel, and use flat washers and nyloc nuts. Use only silicone for the sealer. Use lots of it and when you install the screws, leave them a couple of turns from tight. Then when the silicone has set up, hold the nut from the bottom and tighten the screw from the top.

Here's a link to a source for the deck plate.
http://www.amazon.com/BECKSON-SMOOTH-CE ... deck+plate

That's it! Sparkling healthy water!!
Attached Thumbnails
Top View.JPG   View From Angle.JPG  

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #1242

That deck plate is a great idea! On my to-do list this summer is to fix up my water system, and I'm adding this mod to the update list. Thanks!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #1243
Site Team

Garage

Always wanted one. I bring potable water in separate containers. Being able to use the tank for drinking water would be nice. Over the years I have noticed with water cans that if you clean them with something rough like 3-M pad, the sides will moss up quickly but if you use something soft like a sponge, the inside of the can stays smooth and water can set for months w/o sliming up. Not sure if there is some kind of coating or if the scratches allow stuff to form. Anyway nice mod.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #1244

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Always wanted one. I bring potable water in separate containers. Being able to use the tank for drinking water would be nice. Over the years I have noticed with water cans that if you clean them with something rough like 3-M pad, the sides will moss up quickly but if you use something soft like a sponge, the inside of the can stays smooth and water can set for months w/o sliming up. Not sure if there is some kind of coating or if the scratches allow stuff to form. Anyway nice mod.
Great observation. In home brewing folks often use PET plastic carboys. It's standard practice to avoid using anything that scratches the insides because those little crevices allow bacteria to hide out. For that reason CIP cleaners are popular (clean in place); you can find them at home brew shops. One I like is PBW by 5 Star. You can also use StarSan as an agent to kill stuff; it's basically acidic and safe for drinking water containers (although it can impart a bit of a taste in this application you could rinse it out; it brewing you leave the foam before filling the keg or fermenter).

Rob
Old 07-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #1245
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Great observation. In home brewing folks often use PET plastic carboys. It's standard practice to avoid using anything that scratches the insides because those little crevices allow bacteria to hide out. For that reason CIP cleaners are popular (clean in place); you can find them at home brew shops. One I like is PBW by 5 Star. You can also use StarSan as an agent to kill stuff; it's basically acidic and safe for drinking water containers (although it can impart a bit of a taste in this application you could rinse it out; it brewing you leave the foam before filling the keg or fermenter).

Rob
Great idea RE PBW. My home-brewing days are fading -- couldn't compete with the local brew pub's quality and ease though I could make some quality beer, IMHO--but I probably have some laying around. I'll avoid home brew hijack temptations for now.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #1246
Site Team

Garage

Thanks Rob, I have a brew buddy and will look into it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #1247

Sherman got a sound & sight upgrade! New rear door speakers, new front door speakers w/ tweets, rear camera, amp, kicker self powered sub and 2-din head unit. 1-din head unit hooked up to house batteries with a speaker under couch and another in the barn door.

Steve in Madison WI
2013 E350 EB, V10 6.8ltr
Toyo 285/70 17
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374611299.356817.jpg  
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #1248

Added a "face" plate to kitchen shelf above stove to slide deck into. One speaker in the barn door and one under couch. Mounted a side switch to power off unit and installed a double USB charger. All wired to house batteries

Steve in Madison WI
2013 E350 EB, V10 6.8ltr
Toyo 285/70 17
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374611591.855553.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374611607.105250.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374611687.672209.jpg  
Toyo LT285/70 R17
Old 07-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #1249

The front double din got 3 extra switches mounted in dash. 1-parking brake override. 2-rear camera view (always shows rear camera, good to check your six while driving). 3-headlight override, won't dim stereo face with head lights on while day light driving. Also hooked up the ford aux port and added a USB hookup to stereo. The sub fit perfect behind the drivers seat.

Steve in Madison WI
2013 E350 EB, V10 6.8ltr
Toyo 285/70 17
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374612039.139100.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374612056.721866.jpg  
Toyo LT285/70 R17
Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #1250
Site Team

I was bummed that in moving to Wyoming I could no longer have my vanity license plate name for my SMB. Nevada allows seven letters but Wyoming only allows five. But, since Mike (Ford_6L_E350) has two plates on his van and hasn't had any trouble with LEOs, I figured I could get away with it too.