Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
What do you think of this as a DIY SMB starter van project?

I was browsing the local car dealer's websites (just for fun/dreaming) and came across this van for sale:

2005 FORD Econoline E-250 RWD Cargo Van

(more info and photos here)

It has 80,000 miles and is a gas 4.6-L V-8.

It's a very BASIC (no frills) van, sold as-is (I wonder what's wrong w/ it?).

Naturally I imagined it being a SMB! After I converted it myself of course.

I'd have to put additional seating in it ASAP since I'd need to be able to transport my children in it. Does anyone make "drop-in" seating for this kind of cargo van (kind of like the passenger vans)? Or would I have to try to make a gaucho-style seat ASAP?

I think it would be a nice starter-RV project. And I guess SMB could put a penthouse top on it eventually.

Thoughts? Opinions? Any input? Am I crazy?

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #2

I'm guessing those 80,000 are hard miles. The V8 might be a little underpowered after you get the PH and all the cabinetry etc. in. You'll want to line up the PH install before you buy- I'm not sure SMB Indiana does used vans and you don't want to wind up next year with them saying "we don't do '05s anymore".

Junkyard for the seats I'd say, since they're likely temporary.

Then consider the overall value- $van+$PH+$materials+$time+$trip to SMB+$time+$time+$gas = one homemade SMB already with 80K+ miles on it.

If that is sufficiently less than $used smb+$travel and you're interested, why not?
Old 11-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Site Team

I agree with Jage, that if you plan on adding SMB features (cabinets, penthouse,..), the V8 would be a limiting factor. I think the V8 might even give you fewer MPG than the V10 since it has to work so much harder.

Is the load carrying capacity of an E250 less than an E350? Is the difference just the springs, because that can be easily changed.

Herb
Old 11-06-2008, 09:26 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
You guys make some good points. I've been sitting here thinking about all that I'd have to put into it, just to make it a pseudo-RV and camp-capable. It all scares me (and my wallet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I'm guessing those 80,000 are hard miles. The V8 might be a little underpowered after you get the PH and all the cabinetry etc. in. You'll want to line up the PH install before you buy- I'm not sure SMB Indiana does used vans and you don't want to wind up next year with them saying "we don't do '05s anymore".

Then consider the overall value- $van+$PH+$materials+$time+$trip to SMB+$time+$time+$gas = one homemade SMB already with 80K+ miles on it.
Yeah, the mileage does concern me. As does the "sold as-is" warning from the dealer. Makes me wonder what's hiding under the hood, or body, or frame or wherever. I would have thought the V-8 would be sufficient enough in a SMB, but it sounds like you don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
I agree with Jage, that if you plan on adding SMB features (cabinets, penthouse,..), the V8 would be a limiting factor. I think the V8 might even give you fewer MPG than the V10 since it has to work so much harder.

Is the load carrying capacity of an E250 less than an E350? Is the difference just the springs, because that can be easily changed.
Wow. Another person saying the V-8 would be underpowered w/ all the conversion weight. Hmmm... As far as I know, the difference between the 250 and 350 is about another 500lb to the GVWR. And no one would put a 4x4 onto a 250 (only 350), so that tells me something else is different between them. Probably heavier-duty suspension to handle more weight?

Either way, after thinking about it some more, and from what you guys have said, this may not be the perfect DIY van to start out with. If it was newer, lower miles, maybe.... but as it is, I don't think so.

Thanks for the input! you saved me a lot of time and money on something that may not have worked out for the better.

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #5

Quote:
]Wow. Another person saying the V-8 would be underpowered w/ all the conversion weight. Hmmm... As far as I know, the difference between the 250 and 350 is about another 500lb to the GVWR. And no one would put a 4x4 onto a 250 (only 350), so that tells me something else is different between them. Probably heavier-duty suspension to handle more weight?

Either way, after thinking about it some more, and from what you guys have said, this may not be the perfect DIY van to start out with. If it was newer, lower miles, maybe.... but as it is, I don't think so.

Thanks for the input! you saved me a lot of time and money on something that may not have worked out for the better.
My $.02 I have an 04 E-250 that was converted to 4x4 by quigley so companies do convert the E-250's ... although obviously quigley only does new vans.
I also have the v8 and i think the power is just fine in 95% of my driving. The only time i really wish i had more power is climbing hills at high altitudes (like the rocky mountains). Then again i'm not really a speed demon. My gas mileage with it is usually between 12-15 mpg.

To be honest though unless you're planning on doing the 4x4 conversion yourself I think i'd be looking towards a van already a bit more setup. My interior is a diy but that's because i scored a great deal on a quigley van with the poptop and a bare interior. I mean just for the poptop and 4x4 conversion that has to be what like 15-20k bare minimum?
jeff@work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #6

The 4.6L V-8 probably would be a little underpowered, but I would not necessarily completely steer clear of the V-8 motors if you are not doing a 4x4 conversion. The 5.4L V-8 will have enough power to support the van and conversion weight. While I agree with Bronco Hauler about the V-10 being a better way to go if possible, don't be afraid to go with a V-8 if the right deal comes around. Just make sure it is the bigger 5.4L V-8 and not the 4.6L V-8.

Good Luck!
Sportsmobile West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #7

Oops, i didn't read carefully enough, I have the 5.4 not the 4.6.
jeff@work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #8

I agree that a 5.4L V-8 is big enough. My wife and I just drove our new E250 RB-50 from Austin to San Diego and are happy with how it feels on the freeway. It accelerates and climbs hills as well as a normal car.