Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #11

Re: Winch mount

I might switch back to metric, but I have a bunch of 3/8" stuff already, and it's REALLY hard to get a metric square nut at a hardware store. That way if I have problems I can cannibalize from other parts. And my van has bunches of SAE stuff, so I’m stuck with it for the duration.

A solution might be to make a captured nut by making a flag nut out of a metric hex...but welding on one isn't ideal since at least with MIG I don't think I'd be able to get a good joint without putting too much heat on it. My usual provider (boltdepot) didn't have metric squares; McMaster does sell 25 packs.

I'm trying to remember to use a paint pen to mark fasteners so I can quickly grab the right tool...dunno how many times I've had to go back and forth from one to the other.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
I might switch back to metric, but I have a bunch of 3/8" stuff already, and it's REALLY hard to get a metric square nut at a hardware store.
Excellent point.

Quote:
A solution might be to make a captured nut by making a flag nut out of a metric hex...but welding on one isn't ideal since at least with MIG I don't think I'd be able to get a good joint without putting too much heat on it. My usual provider (boltdepot) didn't have metric squares; McMaster does sell 25 packs.
Neither are really a good resource on the road though.

Quote:
I'm trying to remember to use a paint pen to mark fasteners so I can quickly grab the right tool...dunno how many times I've had to go back and forth from one to the other.
That's kind of what I try to avoid, but given the supply situation in this country, you're probably on the right track.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #13

Just never use anything but 3/4 and 1/2" hardware. and 5/32, 5/8 maybe.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
5/32"????

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
5/32"????

Mike

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #16

It only comes in semi-fine or extra coarse threads, of course , grade 15.23$$
Old 05-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #17

After seeing your great set up Rob, and since HF sent me a coupon for the 12K winch at $299 today, I jumped on it. My van only weighs half that so I should have a pretty healthy duty cycle and safety margin. Should be a fun project once I get my swivel seat mounts done and installed. I don't have a front hitch mount so will have to have something made and welded onto the frame but I can design it so it works just right with the winch mount without any extra cutting or welding. Your idea to hide it behind the stock bumper was brilliant so thank you for sharing it. But hey, I'm curious, didn't the synthetic rope conversion cost about as much as the winch?
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #18

It's a great deal on a winch...just DO NOT use the included bolts to mount it! They're trash; broke at least two even with a torque wrench. Square nuts are sorta hard to find, but got some at Ace and put new bolts in.

There was a need to do a bit of cutting, otherwise it's hard to get your hand in to operate the clutch lever. Most of the front hitches are installed in about the same way, the geometry works pretty well. You might be able to get it a tad lower. The grill guard I have makes it a pain to remove the thing, since that has to come off too. If you have just the bumper it's much easier.

Something else to consider: mounting the winch vertically, with the bottom facing forward. That cuts the height by about 2". The issue would be access to the clutch, and inspecting the line and such. So you might have to trim the upper rear, but it wouldn't be visible. I also thought afterward that I could have modified the clutch lever so I wouldn't need such a big opening.

I got quite a good deal on the dyneema line from http://truckandwinch.com (they have an eBay store as well, and some stuff was available there that wasn't on their regular website). Very responsive customer service. The line was $160, and I got a new fairlead as well. So not that bad. It came with a fixed hook, a rock guard, and an eyelet fixed to the end I had to chop off to fit it into the hole on the HF winch (I think some of the older HF models used a different method of connection). If you went with a thicker line than stock (3/8" IIRC) then fixing that end would be an issue. I probably didn't need the dyneema, but once you've used it you'll never go back to wire rope. And with the weights involved here I did not wanna mess with wire again. It's just hairy.