Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #91

Re: Yet another BFG Tire fail.

I've run BFG KO's (load range D) on at least a half dozen rigs for over 300,000 miles and the only problems I've had are a few flats from household items. Key, screwdriver, pliers, etc.
Will be getting a full set of the new KO2's this fall after I get a few more miles on the KO's still on the van.
I know some folks seem to have problems, but I'm sticking with a proven winner for me.
I've also done a lot of work with tire manufactures on reduced tire pressure and heat and the bottom line is if you can hold your hand on the sidewall the temps are OK. If it's too hot to keep your hand there it's time to air up or slow down a bit.

Good luck everyone on your tire selections. At least there're a lot of choices out there now. Not like a few years back.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #92

Garage

My story is the same as Scatter's. But I just put on a set of 315-75 R16 KO2's and they are fine so far....still new.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #93

It's clear that the BFGs are working fine for a lot of folks, otherwise we'd be seeing a recall.

I did in fact consider a like replacement, but after reading about tread separation in general, I specifically wondered about the combination of beating on them on trails and then running them on the freeway. This led me to look for a tire that was explicitly supposed to be sturdy. I ended up with one of the Goodyears, even though I know that they have had some serious issues with other lines.

Michelins seem like a good choice, but aren't available in an aggressive tread in my size. Nothing Toyo makes is available in even remotely my size, so I didn't even investigate them.

Since this can happen with just about any tire given some undetected damage, my take-away from this is:

1) A stop for tire inspection should include checking the tread area. (in theory I knew this, but I
didn't check it at the time)

2) If a tire does go, don't lift, in fact get into the throttle, catch the starting drift and then slow down
and pull over. (I did well enough at this, but did use a foot of the thankfully empty lane next to me).

Finally I'm going to do more research on whether I should be running lower pressures, particularly for short stretches on trails. My tires were close to max, largely because that's correct for towing, and comfortable enough for other driving. I did measure tread depth across the failed tire and it was even, I'm not sure that that's a useful indicator for anything but alignment though.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience
Nothing Toyo makes is available in even remotely my size, so I didn't even investigate them.
Toyo seemingly makes several options that are your size.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
I've run BFG KO's (load range D) on at least a half dozen rigs for over 300,000 miles and the only problems I've had are a few flats from household items. Key, screwdriver, pliers, etc.
Will be getting a full set of the new KO2's this fall after I get a few more miles on the KO's still on the van.
Your signature indicates you have a 2007 with SMB interior. Doesn't you door Ford Tire Label state you should be using E rated tires? If so, you are taking the chance of being at fault in an accident no matter who you think was the problem. Are you sure you are not exceeding the load rating of the tires you use? Some folks still do not know the importance of the E rating for their SMB rigs, which has be covered many times on this forum in other threads. Over and out---this thread has gotten scary!
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotearms
Your signature indicates you have a 2007 with SMB interior. Doesn't you door Ford Tire Label state you should be using E rated tires? If so, you are taking the chance of being at fault in an accident no matter who you think was the problem. Are you sure you are not exceeding the load rating of the tires you use? Some folks still do not know the importance of the E rating for their SMB rigs, which has be covered many times on this forum in other threads. Over and out---this thread has gotten scary!
D's (aka 119) are (I think) good for about 3000 pounds, so that should be sufficient for a normal 4x4 SMB at around 10,000 pounds. I prefer Es (aka 126) which are more like 3800.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #97

Coyotearms hit the nail on the head. Weigh your rig when loaded for your next adventure. Divide by four. Look at the max load rating on the sidewall of your tire. Is it a comfortably higher number than the weight per tire of your loaded rig?

Better yet, after weighing the total weight of your loaded rig, weigh the front and back of your rig separately. (This could be especially important if your rig has a heavy diesel engine in the front.) Divide each value by two. Look at the max load rating on the sidewall of your tire. Are the front tires and rear tires a comfortably higher number than the weight per tire of your loaded rig?

Could this be the reason that carringb runs a dually rear tire set up on his rig? Would be helpful to have his thoughts on this...

Could this be one reason that some of us are trying to shed weight rather than add weight by adding heavy bumpers, etc.?

Does tire pressure affect the actual load bearing capacity of a tire?

For instance this is what it says re my Michelins:

LTX® M/S2 LT265/70R17/E Max load rating is 3195 @ 80 PSI

But I don't drive them at 80 PSI. I drive them at less PSI.

So what is their effective load rating at less PSI than that spec'd?

For those running "D" rated tires, what is the max load rating at what PSI of your "D" rated tire?

Edit: rallypanam please post the make, model and size and actual max load rating at what PSI of your E rated tires. I am very interested if they are truly 3800 lbs. per tire.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #98
Site Team

I'd like to hear what Daveb thinks about this.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Does tire pressure affect the actual load bearing capacity of a tire?
Definitely.

Quote:
please post the make, model and size and actual max load rating at what PSI of your E rated tires. I am very interested if they are truly 3800 lbs. per tire.
Well, whether they are truly at the stated rating or not I can't say, but the stated rating of my E rated BFG ATs is 126 I believe (the new KO2s are definitely 126). So as per this chart, that's more than 3640: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

[EDIT: 3750 @ 80PSI according to BFG, so I was wrong on the 3800, but not by much: http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-sel ... #techspecs]

Of course, it's the heaviest rated tire I can get, so whether it's 3200 or 3500 or 3800 is kind of immaterial.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #100

Quote:
Weigh your rig when loaded for your next adventure. Divide by four. Look at the max load rating on the sidewall of your tire. Is it a comfortably higher number than the weight per tire of your loaded rig?
P.S. My rig, 4x4 diesel, loaded with camping gear, full water, full 55 gallons of diesel, with dirtbike and carrier on the back, is about 10,500. So a 2600 pound rating would be theoretically sufficient (not that I would want to do that though).