Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #111

Re: Z's Fiamma Awning Brackets

So can anyone tell me if Z's brackets also help with the "gap" that allows rain thru the back of the awning body and the gutter on the vans roof ? It never occurred to me that would be a problem until ( of course) it rained while tailgating and I was surprised by the amount of rain that snuck thru that small gap and directly into the open doors.

I consider myself a half-assed perfectionist
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #112

Stillvaning, I do not believe these brackets will make any difference in regards to the gap between the awning and the van body. If anything it may be a bit more pronounced.

Salivan, I was actually thinking the same thing at one point (using the SMB front bracket instead of Z's). However, this will not work as they are different heights and Z's bracket supports the weight of the awning up front and in back. Here is a picture showing the difference.

I finally worked on test fitting the brackets and the awning today. It took some trial & error to get them installed properly and I did have to slightly bend the angles of the middle and front brackets to get everything lined up. I am coming from the original SMB brackets, so I had to take out some more of the gutter filling to get them to clamp securely. I wanted to back metal piece to sit in the gap since there was way too little overlap. Removing the gutter filling was extremely easy with a Dremel tool. I figured this was a lot simpler than cutting the clamping pieces as another member did, especially since I do not have a plasma cutter. If you look closely, you can see the pencil marks indicating the additional space I needed.

The front clamp does not sit completely flush against the van, but it feels very secure and does not affect the opening/closing of the door.

I'm using the existing holes in the awning and I've marked where to drill through on the brackets. I'm going to use a 1/4" bit for these holes and then get the brackets and clamping pieces powder coated. I'm going with a 1/4" hole since the powder coating will close it up a bit. After that I can do the final install. I was able to get the awning onto the brackets myself and it was really secure, even without bolting it to the brackets. Also, it seems like the weight of the awning helps snug the brackets up to the van body.

I need to get some butyl tape (or something similar) to cover the existing holes from the original brackets. Does anyone know where to get this that would be relatively inexpensive? I found this but I'm not sure it is what I need and it is also in gray, not black - http://www.amazon.com/Incom-RE20758-...rds=butyl+tape
Old 08-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #113

It only took me 4 months, but the brackets are powder coated and the awning is installed. The brackets work great and I also made some adjustments to the awning so it closes securely again (the back side was not closing all the way previously). Thanks again Zeta!
Old 09-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #114

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

One set left!

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
One set left!
Oh crap. I'll take 'em. Don't have an awning yet, but if it's the last set!

PM sent.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #116

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

All gone.

PM me if you still want one. I will make more if there is interest.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #117

Garage

I finally won't use mine so it's at disposal of any of you at the same price I bought it to Zeta. Buyer pays shipping. Thanks
Old 09-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #118

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt
I finally won't use mine so it's at disposal of any of you at the same price I bought it to Zeta. Buyer pays shipping. Thanks
Sold, thanks...
Old 09-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #119

I originally bought two sets, used one, won't use the other. So my second set is for sale also. $100 (original price) plus shipping. FOB Las Vegas.

You should know: I painted both sets of my brackets black when I got them. The spare now-for-sale set was painted under the theory that if I was storing them, they'd be better off protected against rust by painting them. Good thing I did, too, because southern Nevada seems to have become rain central. But if it bothers you that they're already painted, now you know ahead of time.

2005 Ford E350 6.8L V-10 RB-50

redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:04 AM   #120

Sorry I'm late to the party. Are any of these still available?
SMBnoob is offline   Reply With Quote