Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #131

Re: Z's Fiamma Awning Brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
I want to first of all thank Tom for going through the effort of getting them designed and built. They are awesome and I would have paid more had I known he was upside down on the project. Tom is actually the 2nd person to have taken this project after "Eli's awning brackets" went bust.
Apologies, I didn't mean to imply that he actually was/is upside down on it. I have no knowledge of it. I only meant to suggest that it was a way to monetize the design without the hassle of building and stocking the brackets. Whether he is upside down or not, it would be a great service to provide the plans even if he's charging for them.

I had a set of the Eli brackets and 2 sets of the Zeta brackets and the Zeta brackets were/are better.

It will be a shame to lose them as a resource.

2005 Ford E350 6.8L V-10 RB-50

redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #132

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

I'm glad the brackets were good. I'm sorry to Rick that I couldn't piece together one more set for him as I had promised.

My buddy Steve's company made them for me after he took on partners to move into the fabrication field. His partners ended up conspiring with another partner, firing Steve and taking his company from him. I won't have anything to do with the partners, and would not want to see them benefit in any way.

Anyone who wants to copy the Z brackets and have them made, should go for it.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #133

Z,

Do you have the plans for them or were they patterned after a sample? I have a Friend that has a fab shop and would be interested in making them.

Paul
Old 03-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #134
Site Team

Garage

I have a set that are going to some day get used when I get to that upgrade. With that said they could be used as a template as I know a couple people that could use them. Hmm I could take them to the stainless guy that welds up my bolts. Will see if we are working on the 907 Saturday and ask him.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #135

Think I better get on the list for a set as well if someone builds them again. Right now the Fiamma is mounted on the Thule rack but would love the option of not having to have the crossbars up to reduce the wind noise.

Z - Sorry to hear about your friend, that sucks. I have seen that happen before and it can be devastating. I hope he has landed on his feet and is doing okay.

Ray
Old 03-09-2014, 12:47 AM   #136

When Van specialities did my conversion I noticed that they were fabricating Z's mounts and selling them as there own.....the rep even said as much!
Don't let them know I let the cat out of the bag.
Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #137

I have money to send for a set of the real Z brackets if anyone ends up fabbing them and looks back at this thread. If so, PM me.

Buck, does this mean we might be able to buy some from Van Specialties? If that becomes true, can you tell if they're as good as Tom's? For example, I remember his saying he had to do special things to the center bracket to make the awning's straight panel work with the van's outward curve.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #138

I'm not sure but I think so.
Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #139

I remember looking at Phil's (forum member PJPVI) van and he only uses the front and rear Z-bracket for his awning, and has had great success. Might not work for someone like BajaSMB since he's hitting whoops and jumps and probably needs the 3rd bracket so it doesn't rip off the driprail on his van, but for most people two brackets would probably work great

bphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #140

My SMB brackets have started to rust and leave stains on the van. Count me in for a pair if anybody makes them.
LFFE is offline   Reply With Quote