Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2022, 03:45 PM   #1

Lightbulb Alternator upgrades for E250?

So my E250 decided to reward me for new tires and brakes with a failing alternator. It looks to be an original Motorcraft FIDU-10316-AA which is a 95A.

What are some better alternatives? My battery isolator says max 120A so I'd like to put in a stronger one, as long as it's not much bigger as it's a pretty tight fit in there.

Looks like Rockauto has some remanufactured Motorcraft options at 130A. I wonder if that'll be okay with my battery isolator...

Autozone has Duralast 95A or 130A options with lifetime warranty. Decisions decisions...

Old 06-15-2022, 06:33 PM   #2

The alternator in my other vehicle failed last week. I was stranded 300 miles from home - that was not a fun day. So I've been thinking about proactively changing the one in my van (is it nuts to do that?) and would also appreciate recommendations.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:30 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I've been using new NAPA alternators, the "good stuff" with a lifetime warranty, 130 amps to fit my year E-Series (2000 & 2005 5.4 gasoline engines)

I don't recall what year E-Series began using the 130 amp alternators as stock. From 1997 I know they used the 130 amp versions from the factory.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I've been using new NAPA alternators, the "good stuff" with a lifetime warranty.
Reading the warranty, it says:

"The Warranty DOES NOT cover: (1) any losses due to misuse, accident, abuse, neglect, wear,"

I wonder about this. Everything wears. If it fails, can't they just say it failed due to "wear" and not honor the warranty?
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:22 PM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Diesel or Gas? I went with a Leece Neville 230amp on my 7.3, I ordered it up from these guys, looks like they only have options for diesels though

https://www.ficmrepair.com/index.cfm...=cat/cat10.htm
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:20 PM   #6

Anyone know the output of the factory 'high output' alternator on the 5.4? My window sticker just says high output but doesn't offer any further information.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:25 PM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
Anyone know the output of the factory 'high output' alternator on the 5.4? My window sticker just says high output but doesn't offer any further information.

Some info, not sure after reading this, but could be 130/140, 160 or 200
……. https://alternatorparts.com/ford-3g.html
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:18 PM   #8

Update:

So I decided I can't really "upgrade" my alternator to something very high output because the wiring (alternator to isolator, isolator to batteries) is all 8 gauge so it's already undersized. I had to put a new terminal connector on the wire coming off the back of the alternator as they had crimped a stub of the factory 6 gauge to their own 8 gauge with 1/3rd of the strands sticking out. I don't know if it's Sportsmobile who did the wiring but it's not the first time I've found some sketchy wiring in the van. They love to use crimp connectors instead of soldering, etc.

It turns out I already had the 130A alternator as when I tried to pick up a 95A, it was smaller and visibly different.

This picture also helped me identify it:

I bought an Autozone "Duralast" remanufactured 130A. They have lifetime warranty. We'll see how long it lasts.