Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #21

Re: Any recommendations for a new van battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoVans
I went with the Sears DieHard Platinums for my starting batteries. A plus is that the terminals are an exact match which makes the swap relatively easy. Also, Sears is nationwide in the event they fail under warantee.

Too early for a long-term report, but so far I'm very pleased
I've had a pair of DieHard Platinums for about 4 years. Two weeks ago, I had my van parked outside for 5 days and a cold soak the night before to -36. It warmed up to -24 by early afternoon which is when I needed to make a run with it. The van started without being plugged in. The batteries actually started it twice, as the engine stalled 3 or 4 seconds after starting up the first time. Even at these temps, I don't get a sense of the engine dragging when turning over (I do run synthetic oil). When these batteries get weak, I'm planning to replace them in kind.

beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygvan
...just searching for some cost savings on this type for when i build my cabin this spring
Cost savings,... SMB,...

“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 2y8Sx4B2Sk
One of the best all around movies ever, Herb! My kids have probably watched it a hundred times.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I use Autozone Duralast Gold, only because they're easy to swap when they go bad. One codicil, the warranty is from purchase time- not swap out, so your warranty doesn't reset when you get new batteries. Still, I believe all batteries are junk these days and have high rates of fail- so I don't worry too much about brand but go economical and easy to replace... heh, it's more like "renting" your batteries.
I just had a 9 month old Interstate starting battery fail. This is my 3rd premature battery failure since buying the van. An OEM at 18 months, a Kirkland at 36 months and now this one. I'm getting real good at dropping those boxes! Between the 6.0 and the batteries I'm afraid to leave the pavement.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
I just had a 9 month old Interstate starting battery fail. This is my 3rd premature battery failure since buying the van. An OEM at 18 months, a Kirkland at 36 months and now this one. I'm getting real good at dropping those boxes! Between the 6.0 and the batteries I'm afraid to leave the pavement.
Dollars to donuts it's your alternator. The stock 110A or 130A that makes 65A at idle is not up to the task on a 6.0 psd. If your alternator is not putting out +13 volts at idle it's not fully charging the batteries, especially given the additional load on a SMB conversion. Not to mention air compressors and winches and bitc**n stereos. It's also hard on the FICM. http://ficmrepair.com/tips.htm

There's an excellent post by Fullthrottl in one of the diesel forums (he also infrequently posts here) on this very issue. Have a look at post #83 on p.6 if you're interested.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12175 ... elp-6.html

I've got Interstates in mine which have a great warranty but when I put another two batteries (buy in pairs) this would be the one. http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-a ... 8066&aff=Y
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #25
Site Team

Garage

Pat, I switched to AGM batteries for the starting system and have had no problems since. I'm not saying things won't go wrong down the road but since 2009 I've been good to go using these. The AGM's seem to handle the daily day to day solar charge and high temps I deal with in California's hot Central Valley. YMMV

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #26

Thanks Joe & Dave for the comments. I'll review those threads and I am going to pay quite a bit more attention to the battery state especially since I only replaced the bad battery. On my van I don't have any serious loads; no winch, sound system etc. I rarely just sit and idle and when I do I use the Charge Protect mode on my Aux idle control and it always shows 13.4V. I think the scan gauge has voltage so I'll add that to the display for awhile to monitor driving charge. My van sits for extended periods so will also trickle it a bit on weekends to keep things juicy. I plan to go the glass mat route on the next complete change out. Also I noticed Interstate has a "hot climate" 65 series too but with greatly reduced CA and CCA so I have to assume for the diesel the MTP is a better fit.

I got my warranty replacement today and just to salt it a bit more I see this catchy "claim" on the wrapper. Again the bad one only made nine months to failure and I stayed close to the blacktop last weekend when I went out to Anza Borrego knowing that I was only holding 12.3V.

Final note just for complete disclosure; I know these batteries do not like repeated deep discharges. I had one when I left my van radio switch on for 3 days about 2 months ago. Could just one discharge of that sort accelerate or cause a failure?
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #27

I hope you replace both, not one.
If you have an old and a new one, one will pull the other down.
Andrew
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #28

I understand the risk and I replaced both nine months ago when one of the the Kirkland's failed. It has 21 months left on a free replacement and it is holding its voltage right now. That is why I'm going to very actively monitor them and possibly acquire a Battery Minder device.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewST
I hope you replace both, not one.
If you have an old and a new one, one will pull the other down.
Andrew
And strain the alternator big time which is charging like crazy to bump it back up. That creates heat in an already hot engine bay in the van and that kills diodes.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #30

I'll have it fully charged when I put in the new one this weekend from a trickle charger. Because of all of the concerns though I'm going to get the other battery load tested.