Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2023, 05:37 AM   #21

So the data I find in a manual for 2009 6.0 diesel . This says that the single alternator model is not PVM controlled. This would pretty much go along with the data that DC power is telling you.

I agree the wrong voltage regulator would not work, so now it comes down to what the real truth is. To be honest I thought a 2009 vehicle would have been PCM controlled, but the data says not.

Could it be possible they put a PCM controlled voltage regulator on an alternator that should have not been. This would align with the documentation seen in the manual and DC power's info. Plus, you reported that there were not any error codes, I would expect if it was controlled by the PCM, you would have received an error code.

Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 10:20 AM   #22

Actually my first report of no error codes was from Auto Zone was incorrect. Apparently the clerk was not using the tester correctly. Shop later confirmed that there was an excess voltage code.
Otterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 09:52 PM   #23

The saga goes on. The link provided indicates:

“In the diesel single generator system, with the key in the ON position, voltage is supplied through the charging system warning indicator (in the Instrument Cluster (IC)) through the I circuit to the voltage regulator. The regulator grounds this circuit and the charging system warning indicator is illuminated. When the engine is started, the regulator removes the ground on this circuit and the charging system warning indicator turns off.”

This warning indicator has never been my case in key ON even with the stock alternator nor now. That light, according to the owner manual, is immediately left of right turn signal but that has never been on. What happens is that after a minute or two after starting then a beep occurs and a battery symbol appears in the odometer area of the instrument cluster and remains until shutdown.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:06 PM   #24

What the shop and DC Power both now tell me is that this is indeed a PCM controlled regulator and that replacing the regulator within the alternator may fix the issue. WTF?? That will cost me a shitload requiring removal of the alternator, its disassembly, replacement of regulator and replacement. What I thought was a good upgrade to my electrical system has turned into a nightmare money pit.

I’m really tempted to just replace the stock alternator and live with it’s foibles. Any good end to this?
Old 10-05-2023, 08:29 AM   #25
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I’d call up these guys and go over the scenario, they were helpful and knowledgeable for a high amp alternator in my 7.3
One of the other offerings from Leece Neville, Mean Green or USA diesel might work for you. I have a hard time believing there isn’t a high amp alternator out there that’ll work in this application without doing any mods.

https://www.ficmrepair.com/index.cfm
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 08:36 AM   #26

Here is another data point for this conversation about PCM controlled regulator.

Reminder; my van is a 2005 6.0 Diesel Single Alternator

I installed a 270XP Alternator that I purchased from Nations Starter & Alternator back in 2020 when I went to lithium house batteries. Up to now I have assumed all these souped up alternators that are sold by several shops are basically the same units rebranded. Anyway, I called Nations Alternator before purchasing to ask about external vs internal regulation as part of my lithium battery conversion (different story than here). What is pertinent here is that I have a clear memory of the guy at Nations saying that my van is PCM regulated and I can install an external regulator, however I will always have a batt light on the dash and an error code. We quickly agreed that external regulation wasn't necessary for my project. I installed the alternator, spliced in the different plug into the harness, added larger pos and neg cabling and it's been flawless ever since. No light or codes.

Weather your van is or isn't PCM Controlled I can't say. I just wanted to share that it appears that my 2005 is. Nations Alternator was very helpful a few years ago on the phone and I would assume they would be easy to talk with as a second opinion. No affiliation, I just bought an alternator from them.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 11:21 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
Here is another data point for this conversation about PCM controlled regulator.

Reminder; my van is a 2005 6.0 Diesel Single Alternator

I installed a 270XP Alternator that I purchased from Nations Starter & Alternator back in 2020 when I went to lithium house batteries. Up to now I have assumed all these souped up alternators that are sold by several shops are basically the same units rebranded. Anyway, I called Nations Alternator before purchasing to ask about external vs internal regulation as part of my lithium battery conversion (different story than here). What is pertinent here is that I have a clear memory of the guy at Nations saying that my van is PCM regulated and I can install an external regulator, however I will always have a batt light on the dash and an error code. We quickly agreed that external regulation wasn't necessary for my project. I installed the alternator, spliced in the different plug into the harness, added larger pos and neg cabling and it's been flawless ever since. No light or codes.

Weather your van is or isn't PCM Controlled I can't say. I just wanted to share that it appears that my 2005 is. Nations Alternator was very helpful a few years ago on the phone and I would assume they would be easy to talk with as a second opinion. No affiliation, I just bought an alternator from them.

- Eric
Thanks Eric, For me this is very useful & enlightening!
Been following this Thread since I've considered going to Lithium at some time, but prefer not to fall victim to some the issues that keep popping up with others conversions (I'm and Electrical idiot, so guarded in my approach).