Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2021, 07:41 PM   #1

Adding Cruise Control '06 E-350 Woes

So I have scoured the entire internet and have not found an answer to my question, and need some guidance if anyone can help.

I have a '06 Econoline E-350 XLT 5.4l that was outfitted as a wheelchair transport van in its former life. As such, they installed a wheelchair lift with controls that interface with the parking brake, transmission, and passenger door switch. I pulled most of that circuit out, but not sure if I got it all.

My VIN allows me to lookup parts for cruise through ford's website.

After watching all of the videos I could find, I sourced a steering wheel and clockspring with cruise. My cluster does not have a cruise light. For fear of the cruise control buttons not working, I bought a brand new set of buttons and installed everything. Buttons work fine and light up, horn works. As to cruise...No luck. I took it to ford for an alignment and asked them to check the PCM to turn on cruise. They said they could not do it.

I then ordered the cruise cutoff switch and replaced it on the master cylinder. No luck.

Then I checked the fuse box. My "shift interlock" fuse is missing, so naturally I tried to stick one in there. There are no contacts in the slot. I tested the column shifter, and it does not lock the steering wheel position with the key removed, and the key is not locked into the ignition when turned. I cannot turn the ignition switch without the key.

My gut says there is still a harness somewhere that has disconnected the shift interlock, but wouldn't that LOCK everything vs unlock everything?

Can anyone point me to the physical wiring location for this circuit?

I've seen other threads where the shift interlock not functioning correctly will prevent the cruise from arming, and this is my last troubleshooting option.

Here's the wheelchair lift switch:
https://intermotive.net/wp-content/u...structions.pdf

WeatherManVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:28 PM   #2

I pulled the lower dash panel off and went digging around. I found a T-harness that was in the shift interlock circuit. Pulled it out and reconnected the solenoid, and now my van shifter operates normally (foot on brake to release shifter from park).

Still no cruise.

I checked my brake pedal switch, and it doesn't have a second set of wires.. just the ones for the brake light.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:54 PM   #3

This van did not come out of the factory with cruise control, correct? Besides all the missing wiring, what about the speed control servo hardware on the throttle body? Is it there?
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:13 PM   #4

Perhaps you should review a schematic that shows the system and its elements, identify if the drive elements are in the van? You have addressed switches, and wiring, but the hardware that drives the throttle, etc? The key to aftermarket kits besides the throttle is a processor that looks at driveshaft speed and provides control. A very good resource for this kind of activity would be ford.trucks.com or https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/

A relatively straightforward solution might be to find an aftermarket device.
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
This van did not come out of the factory with cruise control, correct? Besides all the missing wiring, what about the speed control servo hardware on the throttle body? Is it there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorefc View Post
Perhaps you should review a schematic that shows the system and its elements, identify if the drive elements are in the van? You have addressed switches, and wiring, but the hardware that drives the throttle, etc? The key to aftermarket kits besides the throttle is a processor that looks at driveshaft speed and provides control. A very good resource for this kind of activity would be ford.trucks.com or https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/

A relatively straightforward solution might be to find an aftermarket device.
For you and 147 both... the 2005+ models are fly by wire. The PCM controls the fuel injectors electronically to control cruise. It isn't like the oldschool vacuum actuator. I was as surprised as you are to probably hear this.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:31 PM   #6

If someone has a 2005+ with cruise, can you take a picture of the switches on your brake pedal? Mine only has one, older models had two, not sure if 2005+ have one or two.

One was for brake lights, the other was for cruise disengage. Some models have them combined into one switch.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:43 AM   #7

Cruise needs to be activated on the PCM. You can do this with Forscan, or find a dealer that actually knows Ford IDS. With either, all of the required inputs can be monitored, so you can verify that you have everything installed.

Are you sure the steering wheel is from the same year? There were a couple times that Ford changed the resistor values of the cruise control buttons, making some years not compatible.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:57 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherManVan View Post
If someone has a 2005+ with cruise, can you take a picture of the switches on your brake pedal? Mine only has one, older models had two, not sure if 2005+ have one or two.
I do have an '05 also originally outfitted as a wheel chair lift people mover. I'll take a few photos of the brake pedal switch in the next 24 hours, will be linked through this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Cruise needs to be activated on the PCM. You can do this with Forscan, or find a dealer that actually knows Ford IDS.
Correct---just because its a Ford dealership means nothing these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Are you sure the steering wheel is from the same year? There were a couple times that Ford changed the resistor values of the cruise control buttons, making some years not compatible.
Correct naturally---Ford is famous for making its parts completely dependent on the year, make and model. (The E-Series are pretty much the same regardless the GVW ratings etc, no matter if its an E-150 or E-550--same specs for body and most electrical parts.)

If the switches and/or clock spring are not of the specified year they won't work. I've been there, done that and it's aggravating until you know the "secret".
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:26 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherManVan View Post

One was for brake lights, the other was for cruise disengage. Some models have them combined into one switch.
As promised here's my '05, just the one switch:

Wire colors per schematic are Light Green /Red stripe and Dark Green.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:21 PM   #10

?Incorrect Clockspring?

So I may have discovered the culprit. I ordered the clockspring from autopartscheaper. In the photo, it shows "with cruise" part 4c2t-14a664-ab. On my invoice, it shows 4c2t-14a664-aa

On the ford parts website, AB is cruise, AA is not. I'll take it apart again this week and look. Hopefully won't need the puller again since I broke it loose recently.

I ordered the AB part from Ford regardless. If $25 fixes my problem, it was worth it.

In the past, I used Forscan to make some modifications to my Explorer, so I am quite familiar with it. I got a new extended license, but the PCM modifications are disabled in Forscan (where the speed control setting resides) for the van. I WAS able to use the diagnostics to monitor 2 of the cruise buttons to see when they are on/off and their resistance values....No input at all, so that makes me think I have the wrong clockspring.

JWA, we have the same brake switch.