Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2021, 03:01 PM   #1

Charge House Batteries with Goal Zero?

I recently bought a Goal Zero Yeti 1500x to charge my e-bike. I was wondering if I could also use the Goal Zero to charge top off the house batteries a bit if I was camping in the shade or snow for a couple days. The AC output of the GZ is 120 volts @ 16.5 amps.

I know this is an inefficient use of the GZ (converting DC to AC to DC), but would it work?

whwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:17 PM   #2

Forgot to mention, I would be charging the house batteries by connecting the shore power outlet to the AC output on the Goal Zero.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #3

Garage
Wouldn't you just use the 12vdc output?
Old 06-29-2021, 07:41 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahamby View Post
I would do this.

That said, I would want to know the output of the Goal Zero to make sure it wouldn't be too much current. Maybe treat the GZ like a solar panel and take it's output and run it through a solar controller to limit the current?

Herb
Old 06-29-2021, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whwv View Post
Forgot to mention, I would be charging the house batteries by connecting the shore power outlet to the AC output on the Goal Zero.
you'd want to make sure the batteries are the same type, but yes, you can 100% use the GZ to charge your house batteries. GZ specifically touts this as a feature in all their Yeti's so you can easily expand their capability.

I'm *not* sure you can mix battery types, like Li-ion and AGM. But if you give GZ a call their customer service is actually really awesome.

A GZY 1250 came with our van and its setup to keep the vehicle battery charged at all times.
spazegun2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:32 AM   #6

Garage
I'm glad their customer service is awesome. I looked at the manual online and it was kinda lame. It did indicate a high capacity 12vdc outlet under the lid.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:44 PM   #7

Appreciate all the input, thanks!

Quote:
Good suggestion. There is a 12v output under the lid as you stated, using powerpole connectors. Any suggestions on the easiest way to connect to the house battery? Are there terminals that are easy to reach? The shore power plug is convenient which is why my mind went there first. It's a RB150 build and the house battery is outside and I didn't see any easy to reach terminals.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:38 PM   #8

Garage
I would imagine you would have to attach a pair of wires to the terminals on the battery with an Andersen connecter or equivalent on the ends. Fuse the positive wire. Do the same coming off the Goal Zero. Locate the Andersen coming off the battery somewhere convent
for connecting to the Goal Zero.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:20 PM   #9

Quote:
I would imagine you would have to attach a pair of wires to the terminals on the battery with an Andersen connecter or equivalent on the ends. Fuse the positive wire. Do the same coming off the Goal Zero. Locate the Andersen coming off the battery somewhere convent
for connecting to the Goal Zero.
*this is the way*

Save for the fuse (at least on mine) there are easy to change, and hidden internal fuses for most of the outlets on the Yeti's so just run a connector and cable, and you are good to go.

Again, a quick call to them works if the user manual is vague.
spazegun2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:26 AM   #10

Garage
It's the wire from the battery terminal post to the connector that needs protecting. If you connect a piece of 10AWG copper to the positive battery post I suggest you put 30Amp overcurrent protection in line as close to the battery as possible. If you tap the primary conductor off the house battery farther down line fuse it at that point. This may be a pain to accomplish but you'll like an electrical fire a lot less.