Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #11

Thanks again Greg and Blackeye.

Since I didnt ever get XM through my radio I figured this kills two birds with one stone, having the XM throught he DirecTV.

DaveB-yes you can add it as an additional receiver for $5 a month. If you need more details PM me as there is a caveat to this in terms of getting all the channels.

Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellularSTEVE
Buji,
Do you think the problems you encountered are due to the offroading?
Sorry, missed your question.

I don't think so, but there's no way to know for sure, but they show they same unit being drop-chuted on the back of a HMMV out of a cargo plane and it's 'certified drop-ready' on their website.

More investigating hints that all gyro based (including the KVH) sat dishes are having the same problem right now with satellite 110, and require firmware updates for Dish networks. I don't think there's any problems with DirectTv. It has to do with dish relocating the beacon on the 110 satellite to a different transponder. I don't have any problems with the 119 satellite.

KVH folks seem to have a semi working firmware update, raysat seems rather clueless and the customer support is terrible. I didn't have any dish-compatible options when I ordered mine, but I would never recommend Raysat to a friend.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #13

Does anyone have an opinion or experience with this unit from DirecTV?

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/co ... Id=3090001
armlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
I have no experience with the "Sat-Go", but given the price and the form factor, I am not sure I would want to go that direction.

It is pricy for the size, and it weighs 25lbs

You get a 17in screen; you do have AV output (composite), but to use it you would have to carry a second screen.... so why the compact unit.

It sounds like the unit itself has to have a clear view of the southern sky.... does that mean it has to be outside? What if it is raining, can you use it inside?

It also sounds like you will need to aim it to get reception; this means it will not track a satellite when you are in motion. It may also mean that you have to orient the screen a particular direction to get the satellite oriented a certain direction.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #15

Thanks for the details Greg, great observation on the Sat-Go's limitatons!
armlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buji
Quote:
Buji,
Do you think the problems you encountered are due to the offroading?
More investigating hints that all gyro based (including the KVH) sat dishes are having the same problem right now with satellite 110, and require firmware updates for Dish networks. I don't think there's any problems with DirectTv. It has to do with dish relocating the beacon on the 110 satellite to a different transponder. I don't have any problems with the 119 satellite.

KVH folks seem to have a semi working firmware update, ...
Thanks Buji! I will have to get that from KVH now that I picked up my dish. May try to install it this weekend.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
I have no experience with the "Sat-Go", but given the price and the form factor, I am not sure I would want to go that direction.

It is pricy for the size, and it weighs 25lbs

You get a 17in screen; you do have AV output (composite), but to use it you would have to carry a second screen.... so why the compact unit.

It sounds like the unit itself has to have a clear view of the southern sky.... does that mean it has to be outside? What if it is raining, can you use it inside?

It also sounds like you will need to aim it to get reception; this means it will not track a satellite when you are in motion. It may also mean that you have to orient the screen a particular direction to get the satellite oriented a certain direction.

Right, you have to be outside with a clear southern view, and it won't work if there's any motion. Also, I believe they limit you to a principle set of channels that are only on their primary satellite. (Dish tries to do the same thing, even if you have multi-sat-honing capability)
Old 10-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #18

Quote:

Thanks Buji! I will have to get that from KVH now that I picked up my dish. May try to install it this weekend.

steve
Check out this thread at satelliteguys.us:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-net...satellite.html

I ended up getting a good firmware update from Raysat. Two weeks of playing phone tag with them to get them to take 3 seconds to look at their documentation and realize they had missed a step in their configuration steps for uploading the firmware. Sheesh

Works now. Still wouldn't reccomend RaySat now that there's a kvh option. Just because KVH is a more populous unit, so there will be more community support. Plus, Raysat's official customer support just sucks.

Here's the thread for the raysat data, if anyone else ever comes along looking for it:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-net...-think-so.html