Newbie battery help: overcharged?
We just took our "new to us" 1991 sportsmobile (Dodge Ram) on a road trip to Canada and back (from northern California, SF Bay area).
It was a great trip, and the van ran flawlessly and camping it it was great...but I think I may have done something wrong related to the house battery and killed it....so thought I would post here to see if I can glean any useful info from you more knowledgeable folks.
The first time we camped at a site with a power hook up - I plugged it into to the shore power and left it plugged in during the night. We were running the refrigerator and a few lights - not really that much power needs for the type of camping we do. But sometime during the night I woke up to a very supherous smell and it seemed like the battery was hot. I went out and unplugged it, but seems like it was too late. From that point on the battery does not hold a charge for any amount of time. The refrigerator will run when the car is running, but shuts off shortly after the van is parked.
I had understood that there was some sort of regulator which would keep the battery from overcharging when plugged in - but either it's not there, or it's malfunctioning.
I'm planning on getting a new battery soon....but want to make sure I have enough info so that I don't kill another one.
Thanks for any assistance!
Best to all,