Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #41
Site Team

Garage
Offline GPS Maps

Here's another approach: http://www.meetearl.com/. No idea about this at all but a dedicated backcountry tablet could find some buyers.

-------
Fresno's 1st 2012 Ford van.

RB E350 6.8L V-10 4WD w/Front Air Lockers
PH Top, Kyocera solar with Zamp portable unit

(If we'd bought the winch, we'd make a fortune pulling cars out of the snow.)

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #42

Re: Offline GPS Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
Here's another approach: http://www.meetearl.com/. No idea about this at all but a dedicated backcountry tablet could find some buyers.
So far it found only a few; doesn't look like they'll make enough even to start it. Not surprised; doesn't do much you can't already do with a tablet or smartphone. And apps like the ones we've been discussing probably would put it to shame.

Rob
Old 05-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Not surprised; doesn't do much you can't already do with a tablet or smartphone. And apps like the ones we've been discussing probably would put it to shame.
Yeah, that was my thought, too. I was excited at first, but then got to thinking along those lines. Built in solar and radio is cute, but otherwise it's not much beyond a smartphone in functionality, and not nearly as flexible/upgradeable.

-- Geoff
Old 05-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #44

It does seem to use Android apps, so it should be upgradeable in that respect. I'm just not sure if you're stuck using their software to run the thing; it was very unclear. If you could use say Backcountry Navigator, which is reputedly a great Android nav app, fine. But the add-on gadgets still wouldn't sway me.

The folks seem pretty earnest, and I like the screen technology, although I suspect B&W is gonna be a problem. There's another project out there making a e-ink screen in a case that fits on an iPhone 5; it displays an image from the phone, sorta like a mini extra display. But e-ink is more low-power, and persists, so for keeping a map visible would be nice. Called popslate. But again, no color (yet).
Old 05-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #45

re Earl the physical features are targeted at handheld use. For use in a vehicle I would just use an Android tablet or iPad. You just need a really good mount. I am going to set one up -- the one I have in my Subaru works great for search and rescue, I do all my offroad navigation on it.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #46
Site Team

Garage
Offline GPS Maps

Trail apps are booming, as this thread suggests. Robb's point about better quality apps is right. Maybe the better market spot would be to ruggedize a tablet, adding solar, radio, etc. and leave it open to user-chosen apps.

In the vein of new apps, http://www.mtbproject.com/ is a crowd-based project sponsored by IMBA (Intl Mtn Bike Assn.) that is still in beta but has great potential, I think. They just released ios and Android apps.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #47

Offline GPS Maps

I've been using the Topo Maps app for my iPhone. http://topomapsapp.com/

You can download USGS topo quads (1:24k) ahead of time for any area you might visit, then it's usable off line.

The Avenza product looks nice. I'm going to check that one out.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #48
Site Team

Garage
Offline GPS Maps

Test driving PeakFinder on CO17 in the San Luis Valley. It's working well and it's great to know the peak names. Around Alamosa, it said there were 134 visible peaks.

I've seen it miss peaks closer to home but I just discovered a feature to let you stand taller than it thinks is your elevation. That might help.

Now, all it needs is a geology module.

-------
Fresno's 1st 2012 Ford van.

RB E350 6.8L V-10 4WD w/Front Air Lockers
PH Top, Kyocera solar with Zamp portable unit

(If we'd bought the winch, we'd make a fortune pulling cars out of the snow.)

Old 06-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #49

Yeah, I'm liking PeakFinder although way out in the boonies it tends to miss some peaks. But WAY accurate on the skyline...it's eerie.

I'm also liking Avenza's PDF Maps a lot; I think it's the easiest to find and download topos in between losses of signal. Gaia does a good job too, but sometimes I don't select enough area, at least for offroading, and the offline maps aren't there.

The Trimble stuff has a way to go. Still crashing some on me, and it's not an intuitive way of downloading maps from the device; you end up with files that too big.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #50
Site Team

Garage
Offline GPS Maps

Continuing w/PeakFinder across Cottonwood & Kimbell Passes. As Rob says, misses some peaks but impressive. Only real issue isn't their fault. 2D -- flat space -- loses perspective on distance and ranges