Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2023, 09:54 PM   #1

Parking brake input wire?

So the AM/FM Casette stereo in my 93 E250 Sportsmobile simply has GOT to go.Updated tech will go in its place. I have sourced up a nice Boss BE7ACP-SD Digital multimedia receiver with 7" floating display, it has the features I want, including and call me odd, but AM and FM radio, various streaming and USB playback options so I can stab a flash drive in athe aux port and play my MP3 collection if I want to, reverse / rear camera, front / dash camera, GPS blah blah blah...

Going through the install instructions / manual I find they say to connect the Parking brake input wire. Now they never say to what, and there are no switches or anything electrical in the parking brake system on a 1993 Ford Econoline van.

What on earth is this wire supposed to go to? Some folks say it goes to ground, I really have no clue. This is the first time I have ever seen this...

Reading the manual for this says the Parking Brake Input should be connected to the POWER side of the parking brake.

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 10:18 AM   #2

Most likely meant to be connected to the parking brake dash light circuit, the idea being that the unit cannot be adjusted without the parking brake on (Nanny State thinking). Is there no parking brake light on the dash?
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 10:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Most likely meant to be connected to the parking brake dash light circuit, the idea being that the unit cannot be adjusted without the parking brake on (Nanny State thinking). Is there no parking brake light on the dash?
There is a solitary "Brake" dummy light on the dash that I thought was just for things like low fluid. I am not 100% certain about this, but I called Crutchfield as they have really good documentation on this, and apparently there is supposed to be some wire attached to the parking brake assembly somehwere. So probably the switch for that dummy light. I see something that *could* potentially be a switch and short run of harness before it shoots through the firewall. Will have to investigate further.

And yes, Nanny state thinking. I mean for heavens sake why do I need the parking brake on? Heck I rarely use it when I park... My Nissan Pathfinder is the same way, it complains if I try to access config with it running in park with the parking brake off... Stupid, stupid, stupid...
Old 12-06-2023, 10:30 AM   #4

Garage
Most of the time these wires can be grounded to retain functionality while driving. Some units require a bypass module that simulates the parking brake system with a series of grounded pulses.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 10:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhosttexas View Post
why do I need the parking brake on?
The thinking is that it takes away the ability to make unnecessary adjustments that would cause you to take your eyes off the road while driving.
Old 12-06-2023, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
The thinking is that it takes away the ability to make unnecessary adjustments that would cause you to take your eyes off the road while driving.
So why use Parking brake instead of Neutral Safety switch? Already serves a safety function and insures transmission is in neutral (manual) or park (automatic) and assumes parked position of vehicle. There are so many other, better ways to get a signal that don't require tapping an obscure signal...
Old 12-06-2023, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhosttexas View Post
So why use Parking brake instead of Neutral Safety switch?
Just guessing here.. probably because they (Bose) figured the average customer installing this would have no idea what a neutral safety switch was or where to find it. But, a wire down near the parking brake?.. maybe
Old 12-06-2023, 04:49 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
Most of the time these wires can be grounded to retain functionality while driving. Some units require a bypass module that simulates the parking brake system with a series of grounded pulses.

Scott
^^^ this for most stereos other than pioneer and alpine. It’s the green wire coming off the harness. I typically just connect it to a toggle switch since I usually use pioneer products. It’s so you can’t watch tv while in motion. They don’t wanna be liable if you wad it up watching family guy at 80mph and kill someone.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 04:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Just guessing here.. probably because they (Bose) figured the average customer installing this would have no idea what a neutral safety switch was or where to find it. But, a wire down near the parking brake?.. maybe
It's not a Bose, not anywhere near that quality, and Bose doesn't make head units. It's Boss, and it's junk. Don't get mad at me for pointing this out @DBhost. I have one too and I hate it. It's the worst stereo I've ever owned. I strongly recommend that you return it before you install it and get something better.

I know my post probably sounds smart ass but I really don't mean it that way. No one should have to suffer the (lack of) quality of a Boss product. I'm surprised Crutchfield sold it to me. I plan to replace it ASAP.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 05:25 PM   #10
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
^^^ this for most stereos other than pioneer and alpine. It’s the green wire coming off the harness. I typically just connect it to a toggle switch since I usually use pioneer products. It’s so you can’t watch tv while in motion. They don’t wanna be liable if you wad it up watching family guy at 80mph and kill someone.
In many states it's illegal to have a TV display active within view of the driver while the vehicle is in motion. It's meant to comply with those laws.